"I need you"

This is what my 2 yo says repeatedly throughout what has turned into very long days. I love her more then words can say. She has turned very needy, she went through a bout with ear infections - they were severe and she had 2 right in a row. So she was babied a lot. Anyways all day long she cries and whines and says "Ineed you" until I pick her up. 99% of the time it is me she wants. I really can't haul her around all day, I have to do laundry at some point - I am sure the rest of the family is running low on undies lol. What can I do aside from telling her no. As I type she is on my lap whining bc I sat her in the chair 20 minutes ago when I let the dog in and she was mad bc I didn't carry her the 3 steps with me to the door. ~Help~

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try turning those times into a hug-and-kiss experience. When she says that she needs you, pick her up and give her a big hug and kiss and tell her that you love her, and then set her down with something to do right away. Over time, she should get used to simply getting a big hug and kiss when she says that, and you won't end up having to hold her and cuddle with her for as long as you might have to now. When I tried doing chores when my son wanted my attention, I would let him help by pulling a chair up to the sink during dishes, or by tossing him a couple of wash clothes to try and fold during laundry. Hopefully it works out for you!
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 8:45 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Yea, she likes to help with dishes and laundry but when she gets into this "mood" she doesn't want to. I will try the hug and kisses though and see how that works ~ Thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My 2 yr old is doing exactly the same thing. I was thinking that it was because we recently moved and he is just needing extra reassurance. I'm glad to know that it isn't that and that this "normal." Last week he was so relentless in his need for my attention that when my husband called to say he was on his way home I burst into tears over the welcome relief. It made me feel like a horrible Mom because I love my son with all of my heart. He loves to "help" me, especially with putting laundry in the dryer, so we DO have clean undies! LOL Thank you for posting your question, it let's me know I'm not the only one.
    PeachMom329

Answer by PeachMom329 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• We Mom's are always justifying and excusing, it's natural. My children have been through more than most children have, I make no excuses and demand for good behavior in spite of it all! At this age some kids go through separation anxiety, acknowledge her needs, without allowing her to manipulate her. If you need to do laundry, give her a chore to help you, have her carry the basket, or put in the laundry soap. Tell her that now that she is getting to be a big girl, she can be a big helper and that big girls who can help don't whine. Use this as a great life lesson for her and give her something special for her to do. That makes her feel important and "grown up". Helping Mom is something all kids love to do! I know that we Mom's want to kiss all the boo boos and make life easy for our children, in that mindset, we set our children up for failure. Use this to your benefit for your childs benefit! Sending you hugs!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 1:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• When she next says that just leave her unless shes really hurt herself or something
    Amber-Leigh

Answer by Amber-Leigh at 1:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2009