Front load washers, help!

I have a Whirlpool front load washer and right now its SMELLS like mildew. Everything that I can see just by opening the doors looks clean. I checked the trap for a lost sock or something and nothing is there. We leave the door open all the time so it airs out and it still smells. Should I run it with just bleach in it or some other cleaner? Are there other compartments I'm missing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I have a top loading washer that we keep in our basement. If I keep the lid closed after I use it, then it is fine... but if I leave it open, then I notice it does smell like mildew after a little while. Try spraying it down with bleach or pouring in some vinegar and then running a rinse cycle or two with really hot water. Hopefully it works!
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 10:15 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• They have a cleaning cycle where you put bleach in it and run it on the clean cycle. Your supposed to do that every so often so I'd try that.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• We use ODOBAN in our Bosch front loader. We add about about 1/2 cup to our white clothes, we use to have the same problem. Make sure you only use HE detergent.
    gellybean

Answer by gellybean at 6:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I use white vinegar to clean mine out. I have a top load.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• i have the same problem and apparentlt there is a product to use to run through a cycle and it clears the smell for long time. the repair guy told me about it. i think he said available through him or home depot. you could try calling a whirlpool dealer or home depot. sorry i didn't have the name to be more helpful.
    fieldwood

Answer by fieldwood at 2:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I would try Solu-mel or Solu-guard or a combination thereof. They are available from Melaleuca and also non-toxic, as opposed to using bleach. If you'd like to find out how to order them you can contact me.
    mamacitax4

Answer by mamacitax4 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2009