When did YOU begin feeding your infant cereal?

I have a 2 1/2 year old who had severe allergies, milk protein being one. i now have a 9 week old on Alimentum for the same milk protein allergy. he seems so grumpy all the time, sleeps ok (6 hour first stretch, then 4 hour second stretch). He's also having mucous in his poo and spits up a bit. I talked to the ped. who's strictly textbook saying that we shouldn't feed solids until 4 months. i'm wondering if we should do this sooner? We fed our first barley (at about 6 months old) because it was gentler on his tummy, as we tried the rice and oatmeal but they hurt his belly. please let me know. i have some moms who told me they fed their babies really early (at 6 wks) and then some who waited until 6 months. thank you in advance :) I'm only considering cereal for the spit up issues that's all, not for sleep issues which thankfully we really don't have. also, dr. not happy with weight gain, we tried soy form. and others w no luc

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at about 3 months we introduced it.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• 4.5 mo. is when I started. My daughter had a lot of spitup issues as well and cereal did not help her so keep in mind that even if you do start solids, it might not help at all. Sleeping on an incline helped my daughter tremendously. Also, a little gripe water (something with oil of fennel in it) before her last feeding of the night helped a lot too. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I did it at 4 months. However, we have no family history of food allergies. That is definitely something that should be kept in mind and considered when deciding when to start solids.

Cereal isn't going to help with the weight gain. If the doctor recommends adding it because of reflux, then go for it. But I'd (personally) hesitate to do anything like that because of the history of food allergies.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:27 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• You don't start baby on solid before 6 months! Its bad for their gut it leaks into their body, plus with a history of food allergies I would wait until the infant is older than 3 to 4 months thats just ridicules. If your baby is sleeping that well at night you don't having any issues. For a infant that young thats sleeping through the night
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• The AAP recommends 4-6 months (not 6 months like most people believe.)

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm

However, if there is a problem and you think some cereal might help it. I would suggest talking to your doctor again and saying you have concerns and tell him what you think the cereal would help do. Tell him your experiences with your other child and see if he has any advice. Some doctors make up their minds before they get all the facts and before they listen to the mother's concerns.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• "Its bad for their gut it leaks into their body"

no offense but where did you get that from? It doesn't make any sense at all. I've even discussed it with my daughter's pediatrician because I've heard the "hole in the gut" so much on here and he laughed because he said he's never heard the term and said that's not at all how the body works. Perhaps a reputable link or something might help me understand better?
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• open gut

That is one article....if you google the words you will find more.

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I guess I am the odd one here. My kids were both around 6 weeks to 2 months old when we started cereal. They werent getting enough from the boob and bottle. It worked like a charm. They are now 13 and 8 and healthy as horses(I wish my 13 yr old son would STOP eating sometimes, lol.) But with food allergies I would maybe get a second opinion from another ped...
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Thanks, I read it, however that's not a reputable site realistically. It's only "Independent Articles of Advice". I'd like to see something more official if you have it. I did google it but still haven't found any reputable sites. I also searched for "open gut" on the aap site and came up with nothing.

Like I said, when I mentioned that to my child's pediatrician he laughed. If it were a problem I would think that we'd notice its consequences in adults now, seems how most of our parents fed us cereal in a bottle at 4 weeks old, at least mine did. Yet I'm the epitome of health. And my "open gut" didn't seem to suffer.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I waited until 6 months. my son also has food allergies, milk being one of them. Have you tried nutramigen? alimentum didnt work for us but nutramigen helped a lot.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2009