CIO no bashing please

I know this question is probably asked frequently but My son is 6 months nd he wakes up every hour on the hour sometimes he wants a bottle sometimes he just wakes up now im not sure if 6 months is old enough to CIO. Nd if so any other ways to et him to sleep at all

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• CIO?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• cry it out
    Anonymous

• We let my son CIO at 6 months. He was waking 6-8 times/night.... it helped to bring those numbers down to 1-2 times/night.
    There are different CIO methods so do some reaseach on which one you think will work for him.
    It's REALLY hard to do CIO... DH has to almost sit on me to let him cry like that. But we had to do it... we had tried every other method and his night wakings were getting more frequent.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Well, there is crying it out and then there is crying it out. I believe 6 mo. is a fine time to begin sleep training and yes..some babies do need to cry it out. However, I don't suggest letting your baby get hysterical. Crying themselves to sleep is one thing....panicking is another. You can tell the difference in the cries. A couple of suggestions though - Keep bedtime really consistent and make sure you have a routine. (It helps them feel safe). Put them in their crib with confidence, say good night and WALK AWAY confidently. They will sense your hesitation if there is any. Don't wait too long. At the first sign of sleepiness, take them up to bed (nap, nighttime, whatever). (eye rubbing?) It is much easier to get a slightly tired baby to sleep than it is to get an overly tired baby to sleep. Don't keep them up, hoping it will help them sleep better at night. Most of the time, it has the opposite effect. Good Lu
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Whatever you feel comfortable doing, honestly. Nobody has a right to tell you you're a bad mother for letting your baby cry. It's not like they're volunteering to come to your house and wake up with your baby every hour. If they do, then their opinion might matter a bit more...but not really.
    MommyAmazon

Answer by MommyAmazon at 11:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Hi, couple of things. my parents let me cio at 6 months and i slept thru the night after 1 night. i was only getting up to 'annoy' mom. she bf me and i was getting up every 2 hrs on the hour. I'm a firm believer in cio. we did it with our 6 month old (who's now 2). it doesn't take long for babies to realize it's time for bed. your baby may just want comfort and has developed a habit of waking up so often. to be honest, we let our 6 week (2nd child)old cio at night (not too long and he didn't get hysterical) for a couple of nights. he now sleeps for 6-7 hr stretches. we did that because we realized he wasn't hungry, but he was tired. we knew he wasn't hungry b/c when he would wake up several times we'd feed him and he wouldn't eat, he'd fall asleep at the bottle. it did not take long for our infant to realize it was bed time. cio does work and know you're doing it for his own good. he needs his sleep like momma needs hers :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I personally dont believe in CIO before they are a year old. However, there are other things and methods you can try. Buy the book "The Happiest Baby on The Block" or "The No Cry Sleep Solution".
    At this age your baby NEEDS to know that you are always gonna be there. It's a survival method. Imagine that you are helpless, you can do nothing for yourself except for cry to let others know what you need. You wake up in a dark place, and you're scared. You really want that comforting person ...so what are you gonna do? ...yea. you're gonna cry. If the baby is crying it's bc that baby really does NEED something. Even if it's just your comforting presence. ...You might want to think about room sharing.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:50 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Our son used to wake up a lot at night. We let him CIO to go to bed but not during the night. Mostly because he had what we thought was severe colic until he was 18 months. I gave him a pacifier at 2 weeks as I couldn't keep up with him. When he would wake during the night he was screaming in pain. We would help him get rid of the gas pain and then he would fall back to sleep.
    So yes I think CIO is a good idea, just remember that some children wake during the night because there is a problem.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Original Poster here, I just want to give a little bit of my nights with my ds. He is six month and he eats about 4-5 6oz bottles in 24hrs. He wakes up bout ever 1-2 hours on the hour. He sometimes wants the bottle but only an oz or 2. He Will just wake up sometimes to have his binkey put back in his mouth and sometimes he wakes up just for the hell of it
    Anonymous

• As long as you're not doing the extreme and literally leaving the baby in the crib screaming and crying until he falls asleep...I don't see a problem with it. (then again...if you did that, I have no grounds to tell you you're wrong, just that I disagree with that particular choice)

The usual way is let them cry for 10 minutes, check them. Let them cry for 15 minutes, check them. Let them cry for 20 minutes, check them. Or something to that effect.

I agree with the poster who said to do some research on the different crying it out methods.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2009