What is a good recommended age to start potty training?

My Daughter is almost 14 months old now and I was wanting to at least start on the potty training, she is normally very advanced in learning new things (for example. she started crawling at 4 1/2 months old walking @ 6 1/2 months old, she said her first words Da Dee at 2 months old smiles a "Real" smile @ 1 1/2 months old she got 4 teeth some where between 1 & 2 1/2 months old and now has a mouth full of teeth, and now she is running and talking all kinds of words, she already knows to what noises what animals make, and we can ask her where something is and she points to it, and we have been working with her alot on telling her when she poopy's and when she pee's and she is getting good at pointing to either her bottom or her front when we asked if she has poopied or pee'd , My grandmother tells me all of her children when potty trained before they were a year old but my mom says its hopeless until they are at least 18 months.

nahnahsmom08

Asked by nahnahsmom08 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get a potty chair and see how she responds. it she shows an inteset in using it then go for it. every child is different. and it isup the child who must be willing to be trained, not when the partent thinks it's time.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I started potty training at 12 months. Just slow/small steps and I was consistent with everything. She got a sticker everytime she went in the potty which she loved. My daughter was totally potty trained at 16 months so it is possible.

We encouraged her interest in going potty etc. when we started training her, which made her willing and able to learn.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I started potty training at 17mths with my first and it was great and gonna buy a potty chair today for my daughter who just turned 16mths and start.
    Anonymous

• (1) Ignore both grandparents.
    (2) This is NOT age based. There is no "best" age for starting to train.
    (3) This is NOT intelligence based. In fact, many highly intelligent kids flatly refuse to train.

You can start anytime you want. Your daughter will learn when SHE is ready. If that won't be until she is 30 months (a common age) then you can start now and keep training her for the next 16 months. Or you can wait until she shows most of the readiness signs (say at 27 months), and train for 3 months.

It all depends on how much time, energy, and frustration you want to invest in the process. You can always get the potty, let her play with it, and read her potty training stories - then you can tell busy body grandmas that you have "started".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• children dont get the muscle control for it until they are about 11/2 years old. about 21/2 yrs is about the age but it should be when your child starts showing signs of being ready. waking up from naps dry, awareness of being wet and poopy, etc
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 1:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I have no idea when you should start potty training but i think thats pretty amazing how advanced your baby is. You have nothing to lose to start trying.
    Babie4ka

Answer by Babie4ka at 2:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2009