he just won't take a spoon!!!!!!!!

i am really trying to get him to eat baby food, cereal, anything. he just doesn't get it, i've been trying for a month, he's 7 mo old, hes breastfed and i know thats all he needs, but he's crawling and he needs more substance, i can tell. so please, how long did it take for your child to take a spoon, how did you o it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hello, that is still pretty young! Don't get so uptight about it!! The child will net start school not knowing how to eat ! RELAX a bit!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I wouldnt worry about it too much, that is still young. Just keep trying a few times a day. He'll figure out it has yummy stuff on it soon enough.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My dd was breastfed and wouldn't really accept solids until around 11 months.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Try using your finger...
    Or start on some finger foods he can pick up on his own... my son is 7 months and is starting to self feed things like puffs and soft fruits
    And if he doesn't like that... try adding an extra breastfeeding session in if he seems hungry
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My little guy was 8 months before he would really take anything from a spoon. I would mash banana and let him feed it to himself, or those little gerber meat sticks, I would mash them up, along with soft fruits and veggies mashed up some. I would also use my finger to give him some and eventually he took to the spoon. Don't freak out. It'll come. As long as he's not losing weight, he's getting enough sustenance.
    Moomie

Answer by Moomie at 2:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Honestly, if he's not taking it, then he probably doesn't need it. Relax. He'll let you know when he's ready.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• One of my boys was actually picky about the type of spoon I used. have you tried a different one? It's not of major importance right now, so just keep working with him.

Or, at 7 months, give up on the spoon right now and try some diced up table foods?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• our son was given cereal at 3months and 3 weeks, and it was like he was born to eat off of it.. it literally took him like 3 bites.. cause with kids that i've taken care of, they always pushed the food out and didnt draw their tongues in... but with Patrick he did, i was amazed... it just takes practice and patience.. do you sit your baby in a high chair? our highchair has a recline position and i made the cereal pretty liquidy... and that helps and from there, we continued with a cereal meal once a day, and then from there built up... he's 8 months now, and eats cut up bits of bananas, prunes, carrots and peas, and some stage 3 foods, and stage 2, i make all of his food, or he eats the veggies off our plates.. except avacados.. and beets.. he doesnt like those, i found that out last night LOL all moms are different.. and you trust yourself, that is what my ped said to me.. and dont let another mom make you feel bad
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't worry too much. Give him a little break and come back in a week or so. I let my DS start playing with spoons at 7 months but 8 1/2 ( when we introduced soilds) he loved his spoon. My DD is 6 months as we haven't started her on soilds yet, probably won't until she's 8 or 9 months.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2009