How do I go about taking my daughter off the bottle

My daughter is almost 14 months old and she is very very attached to her bottle. She goes to sleep with it (which I know is bad but it just kinda happened) and probably drinks one 5 -6 times a day and I have tried every kind of sippy cup in the world trying to get her to drink her milk out of them instead and they have all failed. She will drink Juice out of her cups with her meals (unless she sees a straw then would prefer to drink with it) but I can not get her to take milk in a sippy cup and she will NOT go to sleep without a BOTTLE. I am getting worried because I want her teeth to be healthy and pretty but I just don't know the steps to take. It doesn't help that she is very spoiled and has never cried longer than 30 seconds in her life ( I know my fault) but she is my first and I was very funny about her when she was an infant so she became spoiled and I still don't think I can just let her cry it makes me feel so bad.

nahnahsmom08

Asked by nahnahsmom08 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried Nuby sippy cups? They worked great for us. The sippy action is so similar to a bottle which makes it easier to transition.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I took both my kids off at 11mths, thats what the doctor said to do and weined them both off formula at the same time too. I just did it without any problems. If ur baby cries, too bad let her cry for a few minutes. My daughter is 16mths and has no problems. Sometimes I see her with a binky too much and take it from her because I don't want her to be attached to it when I take it completly away. If you don't do it now, you'll be one of those parents with a 2-3yr old with a bottle in the store like I've seen, lol. I'm not bashin u I just am saying I've seen kids older scream for the bottle. Try putting a few drops of strawberry syrup in the milk or chocolate only a few times, like low sugar ones.
    Anonymous

• Tackle one issue at a time.

Let her have a bottle of WATER at bedtime and naptime. It's not the milk she needs, it's the sucking action. Some kids just have a much higher sucking need than others. Tackle this issue later - how much later is up to you - but toddlers don't like huge changes all at once.

Let her have sippies during the day. Let her play with open cups in the bath. Scatter a variety of sippy cups around her play area and let her experiment with them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• She does use a sippy or straw cup for juice. So...stop giving the bottle period. Just tell her she can have her milk in a sippy or straw, but the bottles are gone.

I would (if it was my kid, that is) stop offering anything BUT milk. Offer only milk with her meals, with her snacks, when she asks for a drink. She will drink it when she gets thirsty enough...and she won't go long enough to become dehydrated.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• You need to wean her, slowly. Give her time to adjust to the changes. Making her give up the bottle cold turkey is just mean IMO.

The only time my son got milk was during naptime/bedtime. So, until she is off the bottle you can try that with your daughter. During the rest of the day offer her nothing but sippies of juice or water (preferable water). Then when she's completely off the bottle go back to giving her milk in sippy cups with meals.

As far as naptime/bedtime, slowly take away the amount of the milk. So, if she gets 6oz start the first day by giving her 5 oz. Try that for a few days. Then on the fourth day give her 4oz and so on and so on.

Also, try telling her that bottles are for babies and she's a big girl now, so she doesn't need it.

When my son was finally done with the bottle, we had a little "ceremony" and we had him throw his bottle away in the garbage.

Good luck mama!
    Karen490

Answer by Karen490 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Take it away, when she cries tell her its in the trash. If she keeps it up spank her. Worked with my son's attachment ot the paci.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• i have three girls 10,6, 2& a boy on the way. so take it from me when I say just throw the bottles out give her a cup and let her cry it out. she will only be upset a couple of days.
    my youngest hates milk I put a small amount of strawberry or chocolate flavor in her milk to get her to drink it.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Oh for the love of god, don't spank the poor child. Geez people, you can't be serious.
    Karen490

Answer by Karen490 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I have several ideas you might want to think about.
    I'd replace one meal (normal time she would take a bottle regardless of age) with the sippy cup OR with a favorite drink like juice. Usually go with one she would least care about. Then after a week do two, etc...
    At night I'd use something fun on the sippy cups or other reward behavior or items. For example I'd make the bottle as boring as possible, plain maybe half milk half watered down (be prepared with the sippy cup) so it doesn't taste as good. Then give her stickers to decorate her sippy cup herself. Maybe even just letting her pick out her own special cup in the store might be great. Toddlers love to mimick other toddlers so if you know another toddler and Mom see if you can go sippy cup shopping together. Other encouraging behavior: clapping. Or wearing special pajamas or socks that she really likes when she drinks from a sippy cup.
    Meant2BeAMommy

Answer by Meant2BeAMommy at 11:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• P.S. Spanking is not only a bad idea, but it will add a negative feeling during introducing the sippy cup and instead of encouraging her it will have the opposite effect.

Good Luck!
    Meant2BeAMommy

Answer by Meant2BeAMommy at 11:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2009