Is it safe to have a bumper in the crib?

My son is 6 month old and he rolls all over the bed at night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had one in my dd's crib until she was about 8 months and started to try to stand in the crib. If he rolls then he can get out of the way of the bumper if he has his nose up against it and has trouble breathing. I don't really know what they're good for, though, to be honest. I thought I needed one to keep dd's legs inside the crib, but at that age she just found ways to get her legs over the bumper pad and out the side anyway :)
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• no they are never safe.They are a waste of money. They are suppose to keep baby from bumping themselves on the crib but by the time baby is moving around they are not supposed to be in there because of all the hazards they pose to your baby. It is actually way more dangerous to for baby to roll into bumper and get suffocated then for them to be against the bars. the ties can be a strangulation hazard if not the right length or come untied, once they can pull themselves up they can step up on the bumper. If the crib matteress is the right size for he crib and you have a well fitting crib sheet thats all you need and should have in the crib. Althought dust ruffles are fine too as they are out of the way. Nothing else in cribs either. and watch out for mobiles when baby starts to move around get it out .
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 1:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• They aren't safe they are a suffication risk... but more at 6 months they start to be able to pull them selves up on things and he could use it to pull himself out of his crib.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I had one on both of my DD's crib but once they were rolling all over and standing I took it out. The bad thing with that though. My youngest would roll and get cought under it I took it off then she would push on the rails in her sleep and would push her legs through the bars and she would get them stuck
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I asked my OB-gyn she told me that she" HAS TO SAY" no, something about new guidelines because of sids, the air can't move freely and all the other reasons already listed . Then I asked her if she uses them and she said yes!
    Anonymous

• I used one with my boys all the way through. They each had a habit of seeking out the corner with their heads. I still, to this day, cannot see how they could have shoved their face into the bumper far and hard enough to have suffocated. (we had one of the flatter type bumpers, not a big, fat fluffy one)

*I* would use one again if we were to have another kid. I would not be so bold as to tell someone else they were "perfectly safe" though.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I believe bumpers can be used safely.  As far as air flow issues, I kept the bumper raised up about a half-inch from the mattress.  I tied it very securely to the crib bars with double knots so it could not come loose and checked it regularly.  By the time my son was scooting around in the crib at six months, he could roll over both ways, lift his head, and sit up.  He was a very restless sleeper and would roll into those bumpers with a lot of force.  He would have been hitting hard wood without the bumper and that would not have been good at all.  I do not see a suffocation risk there.  If a baby is standing up in a crib, the bumpers can help them climb out, and that's dangerous.   

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:22 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• our son is 8 months old, and his bumper is still in there.. i am sure when i move his crib down to the last notch i'll just take it out.. but we will see.. he has toys and a book in his bed now.. and his little lovey object... if you feel its a hazard, then take it out, if you dont, then leave it.. its your own opinion..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My DS had one in his crib til he knew how to untie the bows on it! And then noticed that he torn one of the strings off... lol so i took it out n threw it away... my daughter might still need hers for a while cuz her feet still slide through in between the bars. which isnt a good thing so that's why i used bumpers. so that there feet dont stick out of the crib nor get stuck.
    mom4life86

Answer by mom4life86 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My opinion, NO. I had a bad experience with my dd and a bumper. When my 2nd was born I never placed the bumper back in the crib.
    blessedmom1

Answer by blessedmom1 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2009