What is your op on women smoking while pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well, it's their body and their baby. As much screaming that goes on today about how bad it is, I think back to the generation having kids in the 40's - 60's. Alot of smokers, and the babies seemed to be okay.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I think it's incredibly selfish. However, people are going to do what they want, and it's not my place to tell them how to live their lives. If they want to possibly do harm to their unborn child, that's all on them.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I cant stand to see a women smoking reguardless. ( I think its so trashy!) I see alot of teen girls smoking these days.... its not cool they look stupid. When I see a pregnant women, I think shes selfish as hell.....and already not giving her baby a fair chance @ being healthy!
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I've never been a smoker, and I don't support pregnant women smoking... but I understand how hard it is to overcome addictions, let alone with pregnancy hormones to top it off! If you're a pregnant smoker, I wish you luck in quitting because it is the best option for your baby!
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 1:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Is she more or less selfish then a woman who chooses abortion. I think it is awful that a woman who is pregnant smokes. However, if this country makes it illegal, it will have to make abortion illegal also. I am ready to do that, how about you?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Wow, I'm guessing you're all non-smokers. It's very hard to quit smoking, even when you are pregnant... maybe even more so, because of the hormones and the fact that nicotine is a stimulant, which is even more desireable when you can't drink coffee and you're tired all the time. I'm 4 months pregnant, and I had to wean myself off. I went from 1/2 pack a day to 1 or 2 a day in no time... but those 1 or 2 a day were hard to let go of! At this point I haven't had one in 9 days and don't want one, so I think I'm in the clear now, and I feel horrible that it's taken this long. But an addiction is just that, an addiction. Becoming pregnant doesn't make the cravings go away.

BTW, I realize that smoking while pregnant increases the risk of an unhealthy baby, not every baby born to a smoker is unhealthy, and not every unhealthy baby is born to a smoker!
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Smoking is a disgusting and selfish habit. Because it makes eveyone else around you sick.
    Babies are affected by anything and everything you put into your body. What ever affect it has on you it has like 3x's the affect on the baby. Just because some people have smoked while pregnant and have had babies who appear to be okay doesnt mean they are not. It can lower IQ, cause behavior problems, learning disabilities, asthma,etc. It may not always be evident if you don't know what to look for or if you are not looking for it . Babies of smokers do tend to be lower birth weight, and can have a variety of health problems at birth and beyond.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 1:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Susie, this discussion is about smoking, not abortion. PLEASE don't start that arguement here, it's already all over this site. Smoking has nothing to do with abortion.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I was a smoker, but quit during my pregnancies. I do know what it takes to quit. Especially when you are pregnant. But that is an excuse. You can do it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant. It was the hardest thing that I have ever done.

I feel that women should quit when they find out they are expecting. We have much better information now a days then back then when everyone smoked.

Personally-I get angry when I see women who are pregnant smoke. I don't mean to-it just happens. I think it was bc I went through hell to quit and I think that women who continue to smoke are weak. Sorry, just MHO.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2009