Do you feel your child is smarter or much more advanced than others in their age group?

I know my DD is and has always been smarter than other people's kids in her age range and I am so proud of her. I know there are other advanced children out there of course so that is why I am asking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When my daughter was just under two she was drawing happy faces and arms and legs on stuff, now she's three and can write her letters. She has been seen my doctors who have told me developmentally she is ahead. I don't brag about it to anyone because I don't want them to think I think my kid is better or something(because I don't). But it is exciting.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I am an ECE student major so i can say with experience when i say i know my son is about 6 months a head developmentally compared to other children his age.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Brag much?
    Anonymous

• Steff-
    That IS great!

BTW, I know my daughter is advanced too.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Do you feel your child is smarter or much more advanced than others in their age group?
    ---------------
    What mother doesn't? It's a rare occasion to meet a mother that doesn't think her kid is the greatest thing since sliced bread lol. Do I think my son is "advanced?" Absolutely. His father and I have both been blessed for great genes as far as inteligence and drive to succeed are concerned. We both did things very early when we were children, we're both college educated and my husband is an Eagle Scout. I was reading (as in actually reading) by the time I was three. I see the same early milestones in my son as my parents saw in me. My son has every opportunity to learn and be a successful part of our community and society and I hope he uses those opportunities as he grows :-)

Does that mean he/we are better than anyone else? No. I think all mothers have a healthy admiration for their own children.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My daughter is smarter than other children her age. Her doctors told me and I was also an ECE major. She's very advanced.

However, my son seems to be average...which is fine but I'm always freaking out thinking he's behind. He just seems like it because my daughter was so advanced.
    Momma_Thorp

Answer by Momma_Thorp at 1:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Nope.. I think I have a very normal 2 year old. I have not pushed her or tried "teaching" her at all. At this age its about being a kid- and learning whatever you can from being a kid. I dont show my kid flash cards. I dont show her how to draw certain shapes, ect... Everything she knows is from singing fun songs & learning through play.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• In some areas, yes. My son has a mind like a steel trap...once in it never comes out. He's nearly 5 and been like this since he was a few months old.

I do know kids who know more than he does and I know kids who know more in some areas then he does but he knows more than them in other areas. Give and take really.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Of course some anon has to make a snide remark, that's why I almost didn't answer the question. Nothing wrong with being proud of your child. This was the first time I shared about it to anyone but mom, docs and my husband. I didn't say she was a rocket scientist geez! Always someone there to poo in your rose garden isn't there....
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My two oldest sons are at least 2 years ahead of their peers academically and cognitively. ( We've been through evaluation after evaluation)

It is actually becoming a problem for my oldest. He's in preschool and I recently was informed by his teacher that the other kids tend to avoid him because they don't understand him. His verbal skills are such that they don't understand him, and he tends to gravitate towards the other adults in his class (two teachers, a helper and a foster grandma).

My three year old is writing words on his own, he's sounding out words and just recently started blending those sounds making words and reading on his own. I fear we're headed down the same road with him as the oldest.

We are still waiting for official word, but they are both considered "extremely borderline" for PDD-NOS.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2009