Why won't she nap?

My daughter is 11 months old (today!) and is normally a champion sleeper/napper. She normally takes one around 9 and goes for about an hour/hour and a half. Then she'll take another between 12 and 1 and sleeps for about two hours. She'll sleep for about 11 to 12 hours at night. So, why is she suddenly not napping? For the past few days it's been a huge struggle to get her to sleep. It's making everyone cranky. Is there something going on at the this age I don't know about that makes babies less likely to nap?

Lizzie_Angus

Asked by Lizzie_Angus at 2:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• WELL HERE ARE SOME QUESTIONS... DOES YOUR DUAGHTER GO TO DAY CARE? IF SO SOMETHING MIGHT BE GOING ON THERE(ABUSE).....IS THERE SOMEONE NEW IN YOUR HOUSE HOLD OR SOME ACTIVITES GOING ON THAT SHE WANTS TO JOIN IN ON... OTHERISE YOU SHOULD BE HAVING HER NAPS WAY FARTHER APART..LIKE ONE RIGHT BEFORE LUNCH AND THEN ONE RIGHT BEFORE DINNER..
    nesamama

Answer by nesamama at 3:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• One of my boys was about that age when they gave up the morning nap. I don't know that it's what's going on with your daughter, but something to consider?

If the morning nap is too much of a "battle" then why battle it? Let her stay up, keep her busy for the morning and put her down after lunch.

Trial and error...trial and error. If it doesn't work, then try something else. But it's my first thought...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I have two little boys, one who will be 2 in April & the other who will be 1 in April. My oldest went through the same phase around 11 or 12 months. At that age they are just trying to be more independent, & they want to test the water. Meaning is mommy going to fold when I throw a fit because I don't want to take my nap?!?! When my son tried to throw fits, I just let him cry it out, because no matter what kids/babies need their rest & sleep to reach developemental milestones. It doesn't make you a bad mom just because you let you'r child cry a little before they take their well needed naps each day. Good luck.
    shawna101

Answer by shawna101 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2009