Has suicide affected you personally?

When i was 16 i broke up with my boyfriend of one and a half years. ...6 months later his mom commited suicide.
I do not feel guily, there were many other things that were going on in her life that i was not the sole tirigger to her actions.
But it made me view life entirely differently.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes. My cousin did 6 years ago, it has changed my life forever but it has also been able to allow me to help other people that has had this affect their life!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 4:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My hubbys old work buddie just moved in down the street...
    and just killed himself... :(
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 2:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My close friend was in an abusive relationship, he told her if she left he would kill himself. Well, he hung himself on his front porch. She went through therapy for two years, had nightmares, and got really depressed. It was hard to watch. Plus spooky because I knew the guy. The stereotype that people who talk about it don't do it is BS. Now I am dealing with a loved one who really does want to do it, and I really think he would if it got too bad for him. It scares me. I'm worried I'll get a phone call one day.. There is only so much you can do. Suicide watch isn't long term.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• No but I constantly worry about my teen grandson I think is suicidal. How much is too much "love" and how much is not enough attention and would it help anyway if depression is the cause? It's just scary.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Our neighbor found out she had cancer, sent her family out on an errand and killed herself while they were gone. Her reasons were that she had intractable pain. It was very sad and her husband still has problems dealing with it.
    Anonymous

• My uncle committed suicide several years ago.
    mamasbaby837

Answer by mamasbaby837 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I've had several nervous breakdowns, and have been on "suicide watch". My husband has had to care for me like a child around the clock to keep me alive. With a combination of therapy and medication, I was able to completely recover over a period of several years.
    Anonymous

• Yes I have had to deal with suicide a number of times, 16 as a matter of fact, no matter how many times it affects you it never quits hurting.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 3:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Yes, I have. My grandfather was a pedophile that sexually molested me and my sister for years. I finally got the courage to report him, and was very lucky that I was believed (sadly, many abuse victims are not). My mother (his daughter) went to the police and reported it.

There was an investigation, and without going into details, suffice it to say there was enough evidence to press charges. (being sexually abused from the age of 6 to the age of 13 can create a lot of evidence...)

When my grandfather found out that he was being charged, he went out to his garage and shot himself.

Needless to say, that caused me a lot of problems for yrs. NOW I know what he did - ALL of what he did - was his choice, and I'm happy and at peace with my lfe. HE chose to abuse me, and HE chose to take the cowards way out. But as a teen, I had a really hard time. It was a messed up situation all around. Can you say lots of therapy?
    Anonymous

• Oh, and to clarify, because I've been asked this before when I've talked to people about this -

The way he was able to go out and kill himself when he found out the police weren't there at the house. Because of his age, and it was a medium sized town and I had relatives that were known (in a good way) to the police department and they didn't want to cause more embarrassment to the family than it already was, they called him to give him the opportunity to come in and turn himself in.

Instead, he went out and shot himself.

Also, my mother has attempted suicide a few times, yrs ago. I've also had a couple of friends that have tried to kill themselves, and have actually had to stand "suicide watches" when I was in the military.
    Anonymous