Is this normal

My son's belly button sticks out my husband says that its not normal i am just wondering what other people think?

proudmama930

Asked by proudmama930 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some people have an "innie" and some have an "outie". Either one is normal.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Yes it is normal. It is an outie. LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 3:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Like ticcledblue said, some people just have an outtie. And the way toddlers are put together, I think it is actually common at that age (think about how their bellies tend to stick out, and I know when I was pregnant and huge, my innie became an outtie for several months). If it was something abnormal, like an umbilical hernia, you'd likely notice that it was REALLY not normal, or your ped would have noticed something. It is pretty standard to check for those in babies, so I'd think they'd have caught it by now. But, hey, bring it up at your next visit to the ped and see what they say.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• TiccledBlue is right. Some are innies, some are outies.
    And BlueFrogMama is right too. It's very common for babies and toddlers to have outies now that turn into innies later.

If you are concerned, ask his doctor. It IS possible that it's a sign of a hernia but it is VERY unlikely. Still, your doctor can take a look and tell you it's fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• normal
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• my neice's belly button was not just an outie, it stuck out farther than i would think was normal. She's 3 now, and it's just a regular belly button. It had something to do with the fluid, still there from when she was born, the doc said. So maybe your child is the same way. And it will gradually get smaller.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2009