A lot of bone around the heart?

So i had my quad marker blood tests done and they showed up negative, but when I had my 18th week ultrasound it showed there being more bone around the heart which can indicate down syndrome. My doctor didn't act to concerned because I am only 19, but I'm scared. She wants to send me to a specialist to talk about having a ultrasound where they take a needle in my stomach for fluid from the baby. Has anyone else had this same problem?? What happened?

cantwait071909

Asked by cantwait071909 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My sister's son had possible indications of downs in the womb, as well, and my sister struggled with the decision as to whether or not to get the amniocentesis done (the needle in the stomach). You should know that it is your choise whether or not to have this test done. And you should know that this test carries with it a 1 in 300 (I think) chance of causing miscarriage. So ask yourself this - what will you do if your child does have downs? Will having that information be helpful to you, or will it not affect your decisions about this pregnancy? In the end, my sister did decide to have the test, it went smoothly, and she was relieved to learn that her son does not have downs. He is now 2 years old and a perfectly healthy little guy.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2009