I'd really like to know.

Why is it OK to show a million acts of destruction on the media, yet the act of creation (sex) is anathema?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• tv is stupid any ways, noggin is ok though they have a lot of shows that teach good stuff to my kids.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• WHo says its okay???

After seeing Watchmen last night (and so greatful we didn't bring our 14 y/o with us) I was equally concerned about the 10 year olds in the audience over the pornography and violence!
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 4:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• None of it is okay with me personally. I just was lazy & kinda sick on the couch last night. I remember saying to myself around 10pm, last night CBS was just full of nothing but sensationalizing sex & murder. So sad I thought to myself before going to sleep.

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Well, not everyone thinks all the violence is ok, either. We watch very little TV around here. It's usually tasteless and tacky if not flat out scary.

As far as the "act of creation" goes, I'd prefer my nine year old not see that either. Exposure too early can lead to unrealistic expectations as well as early experimentation. Neither are things we want to encourage.

Call me old fashioned, but we encourage abstinence until marriage. Note, I say encourage. It's the right thing. I'm realistic in the fact that I hope my daughters will follow what I teach, but as they get older, they will know how to prevent pregnancy and disease. They need to make their own mistakes, but they will pay the consequences, as well.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• The way the media wants to show sex is by making it pornography...and I've seen enough of it on regular cable channels during the daytime when my kids are awake! Not sure what channels you are watching, but there's just as much sex on TV as there is destruction.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I don't want my child to turn on the TV and see a couple screwing. That belongs in the bedroom not on the TV. Violence isn't alright either IMO, but they will always show it. But they hopefully will always consider sex a no no for public TV. You want to watch that then by a friggin porno!
    Anonymous

• I do not like all the violence or sex. What ever happened to just good clean movies and morals and values!!!!!!!!!
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• That belongs in the bedroom not on the TV.

that's not your choice to make for anyone but yourself and your kids. Turn it off if you don't want to see it, don't demand that everything aired suits your tastes.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• The media is too liberal, I watch FOX news ....to much smut, sex, soft pornography...what is our country coming to? Oh, I forgot, freedom of speech right? So much for the rights of my children to have clean, educational shows on (except for Nickelodean or channel 9), they'll show almost anything now. My teens have to turn the channels during family TV half the time, they throw in anything sexual or suggestive on everything. I have taught my kids that we won't watch that stuff together.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• We are a sick and immoral society. I do turn my TV off don't even have one. We won't spend a dime to help society decay into total hell. It can do that on its own.
    Anonymous