Introducing religion to kids

I was raised baptist, and we aren't going to church now. I've had doubts, and have been spending the time trying to figure out what church I feel might be best for me and my children. I'm at the point now where I feel as if I don't just start going, and taking my children with me, that they're going to grow up without faith. I have wonderful memories of church as a child, and I don't want my children to miss out on that.
I'm planning on attending a baptist church nearby on Easter to try and skip some of the typical hooplah some churches respond to new people with. I'm not very outgoing and don't feel comfortable with a fuss - I figure on Easter there will be many people who only attend on religious holidays.

So, has anyone been through something like this? I'm not sure how to approach the subject, and while my kids know who God is, they don't know more than that.

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I forgot to mention that my kids are 4 and 7.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this. While I don't agree with the church I was raised 100%, I don't agree with ANY church 100%. I feel comfortable with attending what I know, and I know it isn't all about just showing up. I'm at the point in my life where questioning everything isn't making me feel less lost. I need this in my life.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I personally think that trying to find a church by going on a religious holiday isnt going to help you find the right church for you an your family. They dont have their regular routine and you wont know who the regular ppl are and who arnt. ...JMHO.
    Also, ...i'd like to point out that the easter bunny and the eggs and many other things about easter our religious in a pagan way and not a christian one. ...so if you still choose to look for a church you may want to look for one that minimizes the paganism. Not to say that they shouldnt practice modern Easter, but simply to point out that there should be limits and an explanation of what Easter means to Christians.
    When i was little and went to church i had NO IDEA that easter was supposed to be about Jesus's resurection. It seemed like it was all about bunnies, eggs and candy.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I think that before you introduce your religion or beliefs to your kids, you need to have a better understanding of what it is that you believe. Figure out your life first. Pray to God about it and ask for direction. Once you get your thoughts straight, then do what you need to do to introduce them.

Being a Christian isn't all about showing up to church, but it IS about having a relationship with Jesus. If you aren't going to church regularly and you want your children to be Christian, then you should find other Christian-related activities to keep them involved. Pray at home or read the Bible. Be active.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I don't agree with any churches 100% because of the "religion" aspect. I go by what the Bible teaches me and attend the type of church that best relays the info according to my own understanding. We go to a General Baptist church.

While you may not believe in what your old church taught 100%, even the Baptist churches can be different from each other in their teachings. I would visit a handful of them around your area and see if you can find one that you can agree with.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Ginger, that's great! I would encourage you to go whenever you feel comfortable. Walking back in those doors for the first time in a while can be intimidating. It sounds like the Lord is laying this on your heart and is reaching out to you. God loves you and will certainly help you along. When I became a mom my relationship with God changed....it grew stronger. I knew I had a little person that was my responsibility and I felt so convicted about being a mom who is an example of God's love ( I'm not perfect in that though lol). I think raising my kids to love and honor God is the most important thing I'll ever teach them. It truly is a lesson that will last for eternity. I'll say a prayer for you.....keep following your heart.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I was raised in a southern baptist church and have gone non-denominational.. they don't have as much of the legalism that you see in alot of baptist churches, and the music is more to mine and my husbands liking, while staying true to the Word. plus I have noticed that they DO more for the community. we only go to church once a week..and there church I was raised in taught to be there everytime the doors where open. I PERSONALLY feel that is the wrong approach. I feel it is suppose to be God, Family and then Church, not God, Church, and then family.......anyways, find a church that you feel comfortable in... it may take some time, but you will find one eventually.. good luck
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 6:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• You are exactly right the children need to know about church and serving the Lord. I am on my second set of kiddies as I am a granma/raising two. I personally was devastated by religon as all I heard was the Death, Sin and Distruction in Hell Fire. If you can find a church that believes in Love, caring for each other, and praising God for all the good we have, then you should attend with them, Easter being something that I think I will also do too. I am where u are are now, Again! I will get the two gkiddies to church also. I hope that it isn't too late. You also can be there for them and teach them, read the Bible to them. start now. Good Luck! God Bless:)
    granmommi

Answer by granmommi at 8:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2009