Any babies with feeding issues ever prescribed an appetite stimulant?

My baby was born IUGR and is now 13mo. We still have trouble getting her to eat.
She is only 14lbs. Her pedi has her on pediasure and duocal. Not making much
difference. Most of the time she doesn't care if she eats. Has anyone had this situation and was an appetite stimulant ever suggested?

erinetsuko

Asked by erinetsuko at 5:05 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my youngest was put on cyproheptadine (periactin) which is used in to treat anorexia and to stimulate appitites in AIDS and cancer patients but honestly I didn't see a difference in my baby's food consumption.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I have not experienced anything like this. But rather than use a med. you could always try Zinc. It is a natural appetite stimulant and it is safer.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 5:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• sorry to steal your thread erinetsuko but that's what I switched to. I give her one day iron and zinc in her oj and the other day a b12 multi and she actually seems to be eating more. Oh it was doctor approved.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2009