is it normal for a stray pregnant cat to just disappear?

we have a stray cat tht has been here all winter. she got prego and was about ready to have her kittens . i asume she was because she was so big. all of the sudden shes gone. we havent seen her for a week now. is this normal?

Theresa65882

Asked by Theresa65882 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Pets

• she ahd kittens!!! im almost certain. they will go and hide and stay with them until the kittens are older. My dog wouldnt leave my dining room for 5 weeks after her babies were born i had to coax her just go outside and pee. also my fiance said when his parents cat had kittens all of a sudden the cat disappeared they thought she ran away...well when his bro got back from camp and opened his underware drawer (like 3 days later) there she was with all her babies lol
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Yes, she probably went off somewhere to have her kittens, and is now busy recovering and caring for them. Hopefully she found a safe hiding place and everyone is okay.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My old roommates cat (years ago) had her kittens in my closet and stayed there for weeks. It was very inconvenient. Lol...
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• we have looked everywere. i know they can get in the smallest places. i am just worried about her.i want to put out food but a tom is hanging around and i want him to leave.i just thought maybe i would of seen her by now. maybe give her a few more days. shes a first time mommy
    Theresa65882

Answer by Theresa65882 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Our little stray that showed up was hanging around for awhile and I thought boy is her belly big and not to long after that she disapeared and within a few wks here she comes back to the garage with her litter. So maybe she will reteurn where she knows she can get food . She will need it to make milk for her babies. Then maybe you can catch her and get her fixed and the kittens homes. We did and wish we had kept one.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 6:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• She probably went off and found a nice, safe, quiet place to have her babies. Cats like to be ALONE when they have babies. She is probably now the proud mom of a litter of kittens!
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2009