Anyone elses kid constantly hurting himself? and I'm not talking normal wear and tear!

My 18 month old is constantly hurting himself. Just today he has already managed to cut himself with a toy, slam into a wall and hit his face, trip and fall and hit his face, smacked his head under the table twice, smashed his hand in the fridge and in a door!@# He does this right in front of me and I can't seem to stop him, I can't follow his every step. I have three other children, but it scares me. When he hurts himself it leaves bumps, scratches, cuts and bruises. I don't want anyone to think he's abused! It's not like we don't watch him either. He's gonna give me heart failure, geeze!

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could be he will always be a rough and tumble type of guy.
    Or maybe this is just baby clumsiness in the extreme.
    I personally don't look at babies this age with bumps and scratches as likely abused because I remember my own son at that age! LOL
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:10 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• DS is like this.. He managed to bust out his front tooth before he was 2 from falling over. He has a scar above his eye from where he fell into a table and he constantly has bruises. He just doesn't want to slow down and be careful
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 6:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• my son is the EXACT same way, he always has new cuts and bruises. I tell my hubby I hope the doctor never questions me abusing him. But hes a rough little guy, he gets hurt and doesn't even cry. He runs and trips on the carpet to fall on purpose and smacks his head against the wall sometimes because he thinks its funny.
    mini_me_0829

Answer by mini_me_0829 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• You all have sons like this lol. My daughter is 15 months and is the same way. Right now she has a bruise on her cheek from falling on a toy, a scrape on here knee from falling down outside, and a scratch under her eye from god only knows what. And she is always falling and hitting her head. I swear Im going to buy her a bubble to live in or something lol. Or just invest in padded walls for every room in my house haha!
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• my nephew will be 4 this year and has been like that since he could crawl....good luck with the bruises!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Friday my son hooked a piece of rusty metal in his leg and today he cut his thumb open on another piece of metal. he was outside and into his daddys stuff and daddy wasn't watching him good enough. Though he's gotten hurt while I was watching him too so I knw how quick he can be.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Yeah, he definitely sounds like a little boy! My son will be 9 months this week and climbed over the arm of the couch head first onto the end table. He pulled our alarm clock onto his head one day, which gave him a big bruise. Boys are just very fast and very curious. I definitely understand why you'd be worried that people may think you or your husband are doing the damage, but most people know that boys just have these types of spills
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My son is always getting injured lol. He will be running turn around to tell me to watch and BAM! Runs in to the wall. Or falls down and gets scrapes and bruises. Poor little guy!
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 12:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2009