How do I help a three yr old stay calm?

So my daughter has had a very short fuse lately. She gets angry and frustrated when I tell her no or not right now in a matter of seconds. We do the time out for how ever many yrs you are is how many minutes in time out. I ask her a bout her feelings and all she says is "you hurt my feelings." I'm out of patience.

In the process of trying to fix her feelings, I deal with my own frustrations while caring 24hrs for a 91 yr old woman on hospice.
We are all thin on patience and I feel like I want to spank her even though I know she is just frustrated like me.

PLEASE HELP!!

emmyholder

Asked by emmyholder at 6:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• oh goodness well i think it is an age thing my daughter is 4 but she started around 3 yelling when she doesnt get her way and getting mad very easily,my son was never like that and he is sick i wonder if it is a girl thing because i have a friend with a 3 year old who does the same thing.my advice is to hang in there i just tell my daughter that we dont act like that if she has a problem she needs to talk to me,and take a deep breath she says ok and things are better for a while but than it is back to the usual when it is real bad i will put her on the steps for a time out which in turn sometimes makes matters worse.like i said hang in there i don't understand why they r like that but just like terrible twos i pray this is a phase.have a good night
    proudmom34

Answer by proudmom34 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• It sounds like she is just acting out for your attention, if you are very busy maybe making some time for more mommy and me time with her may help. I know its hard but it might help. I always said its the terrible twos, threating threes and frightning fours, it don't really stop after two but sometimes the only way a child knows how to get your attention is to act out. try spending more time with her and see if she calms down.
    Vickie1206

Answer by Vickie1206 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2009