What can I feed this child???

My son is in love with food. He is 9 months old and BF but he's been on solids from about 5 months. He adores food. If you are eating anything in front of him, he has a fit if you don't share. hehe. But anyways, I would like to get away from baby food because not only is it outrageously expensive, but he far prefers to feed himself. He loves the Gerber Puffs, teething crackers, anything he can hold and feed himself. I'm wondering what kinds of things I should be giving him?? I know they say to feed baby the same thing you're eating because it will develop healthier habits but I'm not sure what he can and can not have...he's had toast, carrots, bananas, etc but what else can/should I give him?? Any help would be appreciated!!!

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try cutting up little bits of bite sized pasta, my little guy loves it because it is 'real grown up food' and we can share right off our plates
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 6:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• He can have fish, Chicken, ravioli, pasta cooked really well, cheese, any kind of veggies steamed or cooked really soft and cut up, egg yolks, french toast. Whatever you give him try to stay away from artificial flavors, and salt or butter, things like that. He can eat just about whatever you can at this age, as long as he can gum it, so cook whatever it is soft enough he wont choke.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• The above ladies are right, literally he can eat anything you can except peanut butter and honey, and stay away from citrus or high acid things such as oranges or tomatoes, cause it just tears their little butt up.

A good rule of thumb to decide if he can gum it or not is if you can mash it against the roof of your mouth with your tongue with little effort then he can gum it for sure.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• my dd is the same way!!!(and age)...i literally give her some of whatever i'm eating but i eat pretty healthy and always have veggies or fruits during my meals. when i'm going out and not sure exactly what will be available i always bring her puffs along. we pretty much skipped the jar food b/c she HATED that...
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 12:51 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• When my daughter turned 6 months old I started feeding her fried eggs for breakfast and potatoes for lunch and dinner so they can eat what ever you do just make sure its small pieces. She is 9 now but you do need to make sure its healthy food expecially if he loves to eat don't want him gaining too much and getting unhealthy. you don't have to feed him babyfood he has teeth right you can give him real food now.
    Vickie1206

Answer by Vickie1206 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2009