What can I do?

I would like to take a more active role in disciplining my DD who is 15 months old. Basically I have just been saying "No" and redirecting her. I do not spank her, not because I do not agree with it, but mainly because I do not think that she is able to understand it right now. (she is very smart, no learning delay's or anything like that.) I thought I could try to do time outs but if I try to sit her in the corner or something, there is no way she would sit there. She would definitely get up and come to me. I do not really want to use her bedroom as a time out spot because I do not want her to associate her room with punishment. Basically I am out of options, but "no" and re-direction just is not working anymore. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think any kid really sits for time outs at first. It is a whole new concept for them. But if you be consistent and keep placing her back , eventually it will help. Good luck!!
    JanieBoBanie

Answer by JanieBoBanie at 7:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My kids got the concept of a naughty mat pretty early. I was very surprised the first time I tried it and they didn't move. Keep putting her in time out until she gets the concept.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:36 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• most kids will not sit in timeout at first. the key is consistency. it will probably hurt you more than your dd , but it is important that you show her that she has to listen to you as well as dad.
    shai768

Answer by shai768 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• is 15 months too early to start time out?
    Anonymous

• A pop on the hand when you say no is how I did it a little, I have 3 kids, also if you want the time out spot to work pick a small chair place it in a corner and every time she comes to you after you sit her there just keep putting her back she will get the pictures. Keep telling her to stay there but only for the amount of mins she is old so if she is 1 just one min but keep putting her back until she sits there the whole 1 min and don't give up. it will get better no child is perfect. there is no real need to spank a baby at that age just a stern voice and concistansy with the time out should work.
    Vickie1206

Answer by Vickie1206 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2009