How Many cm..

do you have to be dilated before they will keep you at the hospital..?

I keep hearing its 4.. then its 3.. then its 6.. lol.. anyone really know?

How effaced do you have to be also?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ok well i'm the OP, and i started having contractions almost immediately after i posted that lol.. i went to the hospital and i'm ALMOST 4 cm, but they didn't keep me because my contractions weren't regular enough for them..

My next doc appointment is thursday.. and the doc on call said he'd be shocked as shit if i made it till then.. but he wouldn't be shocked if i called in 5 hours in full labor..

he said they'll admit when i'm 4 cm..

damn.. i was almost there!!!

They checked me when i came in.. i was still just 3 cm.. and since i was a bit dehydrated i had to hang out and drink alot and walked for about an hour.. then they checked me again and i was almost 4... so.. i have a feeling she'll be here in a day or 2.. YAY!

now.. if i could only fall asleep haha..

Thanks for the answers all!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• depends on the hospital at ours its 4 cm and it doesntmatter how effaced you could be 100 % effaced and barely dialated and that doesnt matter youshould ask your dr and your labor and delievery because like i saidd it depends ont he hospital
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I was at my OB/gyn appointment at my 33rd week and was 3 cm. She sent me home and told me to take it easy. I went into labor that night. In my opinion, she should have sent me to the hospital then.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Well, it varies here. I know some hospitals you have to be further along than others. Not sure about effacement. I think it has more to do with how you are handeling labor, if you have had any complications, and how many kids you have had already. A woman at 2 cm with her first kid is gonna take awhile, while if it is her 3rd or 4th kids, they may keep her anyway. Ask your Dr at your next visit. I know they will keep you here for an hour and check again and if no change they will send you home as long as you are not more than 4cm.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 7:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I was only a 2, but my water had broken so they had to keep me. sorry I'm not very much help.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Well my water broke and when my midwife chekced me I was 4.5, but she asked me what I wanted to do. We went and walked (I was obviously not in transition yet) for 2 hours. When we got back to the MW office I was 7.5 and again it was up to me. We went to the hospital at that point and had our LO 3 hours later. With second I was in transition before even heding to the hospital and was 5 when I got there and withim 20 minutes 10. It depends on your doc and hospital, but don't go to the hospital any sooner then you need to because the longer you are there the higher the chance of interventions being needed.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Depends on your hospitals policy.

With my first DD, I was admitted immediately only because my water had already broken (I wasn't effaced or dialted yet). With my youngest DD, I was admitted because I was already scheduled for a VBAC in 4 days, but then I opted to have another C-section.

General consensus is that you should stay at home as long as possible, because once you're admitted to the hospital, you're in their ballpark, so you have to abide by their rules.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I was 3 for 3 weeks.... But finally my water broke.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 8:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I was wondering the same question!
    I was in the hospital Tuesday night for contractions being 3 minutes apart.. I dilated to 3! And they sent me home!!! Now I have been doing a lot of walking since then and hopefully I've dilating a bit more... I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow, and I know he'll check my cervix... I just wonder if I'm dilated to 4 if he'll have me admitted or not... I dont know....
    TheLaakSmith

Answer by TheLaakSmith at 10:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2009