Grandparent question

I am going to be a first time grandma in Sept.( very excited).My question is :what is something,that your childrens grandparents do that really annoy you concerning your children. I want to be the best grandma I can be ,but don't want to over step my boundries.

Val504

Asked by Val504 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• YOU KNOW YOU WAS A EXCELLENT MOTHER RIGHT VAL?...SO ILL KNOW YOULL BE A GOOD GRANDMOTHER...SHOW THEM THE UNDYING LOVE THAT YOU SHOWED YOUR KIDS...BE THERE AS AN ADVICE GIVER AND DONT EVER TRY TO OUTDO THE MOTHER....THE KEY WORD IN GRANDMOTHER IS GRAND AND I THINK GOD FOR MY MOTHER EVERYDAY BECAUSE SHE IS THE GREATEST GRANDMOTHER A CHILD COULD EVER HAVE...{DAM IM BOUT TO CRY, EXCUSE ME YALL}
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• my mother has been pushed away from my kids because of her insistence that I do every thing wrong. My inlaws we see almost every weekend because what we don't agree on we gab about and advise each other about. I'd compliment the new parents and show pride in their choices and back them up with their rules so long as safety is foremost. Congratulations grandma!!!
    Anonymous

• When i scold my daughter she runs to my mom crying who picks her up and comforts her. It drives me crazy. She should not be consoled for getting yelled at for doing something wrong, how does that help her realize it was wrong?!

I've asked my mom countless times not to do that and she just whines that "She's grandma, she shouldn't have to be mean"
    Pudge_Pie20

Answer by Pudge_Pie20 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Something that our son's grandma did that annoyed me is not washing her hands with soap and water before picking him up. She was so excited to see him, she ignored the sign we taped to the door asking that anyone coming in wash their hands. (Winter cold season, only)

I finally put a stop to it by standing with my son in my arms and asking her to wash up before coming in. Made me feel like a nag, but my son has had only one cold in two years!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Constantly worrying and not trusting me to make the right decisions concerning my children on my own. My mom was awful with my first child, to the point of I did not want to answer the phone. There is a 4 and a half year gap between my kids. She is a lot better now with my daughter... visits are enjoyable because she has learned to be quiet and let me make my own decisions! :-)
    Anonymous

• First, congratulations on being a Grandma. It is an experience like no other. I have a few things my mother did. First, she shows favortisim with her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I hate that. They should all be loved in my opinion. Second, she always thought she was my daughters mother and would try to over ride all my rules. Third, she would make remarks about how she was the only one that could love my daughter. My daughter is now 31 and hates all these same things that my mother does to my daughter's children.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Thank you ladies,all of your suggestions,will be very helpful.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• my parents don't spend enough time with there grand-cgildren, make sure you do!
    MrsG423

Answer by MrsG423 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• *children*
    MrsG423

Answer by MrsG423 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• As grandmother to nine, I have learned to give my advice when asked for it. That seems to be the smartest thing I've ever done.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2009