My three day old is turning yellow.

I have been keeping him in the sunlight all day with me by the windows to prevent jaundice. What else can I do?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is normal. My Dr. freaked me out too. He's jaundice. Almost every baby is as new-newborns. Call the PEDS. If anything they shold send an incubator home with you. No worries. Itll clear.
    luvMIIsk8rBoi

Answer by luvMIIsk8rBoi at 8:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• call the pedi, you will probably have to take him in to get blood work. Worse come to worse he will go back in the hospital under their lights.

Anonymous

• Definitely call the doctor, quickly.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Call the doctor now so treatment can be started. If you can't reach the doctor then go to an urgent care clinic or the ER. You don't need to panic, but he needs to be seen today. Please post an update so we know how he is doing?

Answer by Bmat at 8:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• JAUNDICE
    Anonymous

• If she's already turning yellow, you need to get him back to the hospital. He's already got jaudice, so he now needs medical treatment.

They'll put him under special lights to resolve the problem, and assess him to see if further treament is needed. Its a fairly common problem in the first weeks after birth, so doctors and nurses are used to seeing it. Like the previous poster said, don't panic or anything, but do get him to a hospital as soon as you can.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• call doctor
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Def let your pedi know about it, my baby was a little bit yellow and jaundiced i was just old to keep her in indirect sunlight for a few days and if you breastfeed to continue to do that and supplement as well.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• my baby had jaundice and they just sent the light home with us, but we had to go back everyday and have him tested.
    Ebony83

Answer by Ebony83 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• CALL PEDI NOW!! Jaundice can lead to sleepiness, and dehydration and I went through days in the hospital with my poor munchkin because he wouldn't eat. call them and get in to see them. Its normal but don't let it go, it can get serious.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2009