• In the Spotlight:

weaning lo

Hello, I am currently weaning my six month old. Actually she's more weaning herself which really breaks by heart. She's always had one bottle of formula a day while I work part time and now she prefers the bottle. But I am having some problems. I had a knot in my breast so I pumped just enough to ease the knot. How long should I pump to ensure proper relief? I pumped almost an ounce.

VBeachMommy

Asked by VBeachMommy at 8:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You know, this is very fixable. EXTREMELY fixable. But this isn't the best forum to do it. Please swing by the BrestfeedingMoms group. We'll have the self-weaning stopped within a couple of days. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• you mean you are trying to dry yourself out and you have knots from that?
    Anonymous

• If she prefers a bottle why not pump and feed her the best? You also don't have to stop breastfeeding, offer the breast at night when she is sleepy. Breastfeeding doesn't have to be an all or nothing type of thing.  You are getting knots because of the way you are attempting to wean.  Stopping cold turkey is horrible for you and baby.

Anonymous

• i'm confused, if she likes the bottle and you really want her to have breastmilk, pump. it's not easy and i know that first hand- loooong story short my daughter couldn't physically breastfeed, so for 6months- i pumped every three hours and she got breastmilk only....(obviously sometimes i'd go longer then pump, depended on how often she was hungry)
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 9, 2009