• In the Spotlight:

Hey mommies

do or did you feed your baby rice cereal at 3 months old?

Her pedi wants us to wait until she's 4 months. My friend gives her baby rice cereal and sweet potatoes and sticks her finger in her sesame chicken sauce and feeds her 3 month old. I would not give her table food, but I feel she is ready for rice cereal.

I

geminisummerz

Asked by geminisummerz at 9:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would always follow your doctor's advice.

And babies need the nutrients that the BM or formula provides for them this early in their life. There will be time enough later to buy rice cereal. Just go ahead and listen to the doc. ^_^
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 9:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• You should probably wait....babies systems are not fully developed and not ready for cereal this early. Is there any specific reason you want to start it now? Starting solids too early can cause allergies and tummy aches. The baby-ness only lasts so long...hang on to it while you can, rather than trying to grow her up too fast.
    Anonymous

• food time will be here before you know it. my son had a bit of the cereal, but he wasn't ready for it, so we're waiting. Doesn't hurt anything. within the next two months or so you'll be able to give little one all that good stuff. don't rush them being itty bitty
    Anonymous

• OP~I dedinitely don't want her to grow up fast, I love that she's my LITTLE BABY .

I feel like the bottle isn't enough sometimes or maybe I just feel bad when we eat she just stares at my husband and I and she sticks her little tongue out, I feel sad like im being mean. I was just curious if other momies gave there babies the semi-liquid iron fortified rice cereal at 3 months and if so how their babies did on it. PLEASE DON'T JUDGE OR ASSUME I WANT MY BABY TO GROW UP FAST!
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 9:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't. I started my son around four months but he didn't take to it right away. I tried, be spat it out, I waited a week and tried again. That happened a couple of different times. He didn't totally take to it until about 5 months or so. I'd give her more time. Also: You had better start learning to fend off those puppy dog eyes or your little girl is going to have a Mercedes in the drive way at 3 years-old! :D
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months. Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date. Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months). Read the research at http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Wait. I got a little trigger happy with the rice cereal with my twins and I regret it now. Cereal DOES NOT make a difference in sleeping longer at night and it will mess their tummies up bad if its too soon. My daughter went from sleeping from 8pm til 6am to waking up several times in the night after I gave her the first bowl of cereal before bed. Even though I've stopped, she still wakes up at night screaming and is a lot fussier during the day now.

I can't say for sure its from the cereal, but I think you should wait until 6 months. Thats the new age for any solids now. It can cause them to have serious digestive problems later on in life when they have solids too soon because their digestive system is not all the way developed yet.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 9:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Nope. Some babies can be ready by 5 months, most are ready by 6 and some aren't ready until 7 or 8 months.
    With my daughter I tried cereal at 5 months because she was exhibiting all the signs of readiness(http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html) Unfortunately she had a lot of gas as a result and hard stools so I delayed solids again for a few more weeks. After that we skipped the cereal and went right for mashed or soft table foods.

With my son, who is almost 9 months, we started solids a little later. He didn't show all of the signs of readiness until nearly 7 months old. We use some baby led weaning techniques with him and just offer him small bits of whatever we are eating, avoiding common allergen foods(peanuts, cow milk, etc.) And that has worked quite well for him.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:05 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Nope. Wait. My DD is 5 months and i'm not starting her on anything yet for another month or two. She is very interested in me when I eat too, but that is just the baby instinct of 'I copy what Mommy does'. I let me DD suck on peices of apple, green beans and cucumber and she loves it, it also feels good on her teething gums. I just make sure to hold the food tight and not let her bite anything off or swallow it. Try that instead, but definitely wait until 6 months for swallowing food.
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Every baby is different. I tried feeding my oldest son rice cereal at 3 months but he just didn't take to it at that time. So I waited till he was 4 months & he loved it. When my second son was born I took him to his 2 month check-up & told his doctor that he wasn't satisfied with just formula anymore, & she said that for a baby his size he could start rice cereal to help fill him up. So if you'r worried about starting you'r baby to soon I would just ask you'r babies doctor & see what he/she says. No matter what decision you make, starting you'r baby on rice cereal at 3 months is not going to kill them. If you mix the jars of baby fruits or vegetables in with the rice cereal make sure you watch out for any skin rashes or irritation, because it can be caused by an allergic reaction to the fruits or vegetables. I hope I was of some help. Good luck.
    shawna101

Answer by shawna101 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2009