How do I clean and prevent the slippery bottom of an inflatable pool?

We bought an inflatable pool and had water in it for about a week or so (got wasps nest so couldn't use it,) until this morning when dh dumped out the water and refilled it. We don't have any chemicals in it, and I am sure we need to do some kind of maintenance. Anyway, we went to put our dd in it, and it was like someone greased it up with vaseline. Soooo dangerous. How do we clean that off and then prevent it again?

Minasmom1

Asked by Minasmom1 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• hmm.. not sure.. ive never bought one of those things.. I may though for my kids.. but its too wooded over here... and we have alot of red clay dirt.... hmmmm...
    Pooobaihr

Answer by Pooobaihr at 6:40 PM on Jul. 27, 2008

• Clean the pool with something like Clorox Clean-All. Rinse it good before filling it up for your daughter to play in.
    JuneL

Answer by JuneL at 9:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2008

• is it just an algae on the bottom? we get that all the time in the kids inflatable pool, i drain it, and then just throw some vinegar on the bottom and wipe it all out with a dish cloth. rinse it with the hose them refill it. The vinegar kills the slime and keeps clear a little longer than usual (i dont use chemicals either) but anyway, thats what id do
    mom2irishdevils

Answer by mom2irishdevils at 9:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2008

• I'm sure its just "slime" from the water sitting in there. I guess change the water more often and make sure you wash and dry the bottom of the pool before you fill it back up.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:05 AM on Jul. 28, 2008

• I had the same issue, I went to kmart and they sell a very mild solution, made just for small inflatable vinyl pools. I put in 1 tablespoon in a week. Since I have started using, I can keep my water for 2 weeks, I sift out the bugs, just remember it's cleaner than a lake and not as clean as a bathtub. Good Luck!
    nb1961

Answer by nb1961 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2008

• You could try sticking those non slip bathtub stickies on the bottom to make it non slip.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 2:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2008

• Use vinegar.its a natural cleanser and disinfectant.add a dash of baking soda if you want grit to really kick the grime,too.
    karrey

Answer by karrey at 7:55 PM on Jul. 25, 2009