Throwing up so much. . .

This is my 3rd pregnancy. My son is 3.5 years old, my second was a miscarriage at 5 weeks. This one is about 7 along, and I'm even more sick this time than I was with my son. During my first pregnancy, I would throw up about 4-6 times a day, with or without eating, whether I was laying down or being active. I actually lost 30lbs while pregnant instead of gaining any. Because of complications, I ended up with an ulcer. Now, I'm throwing up more violently than I had been with my first. I'm in terrible pain, and my SO and I have agreed to terminate the pregnancy because of how completely awful I look/feel/etc. I can't stay awake for more than a few hours, no meds work, and I'm throwing up blood because of the ulcer. I had been hoping being so sick was a fluke with my first, but it apparently isn't. Has anyone else ever been this sick while pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There has to be something that will ease the pain and throwing up. Have you seen a GOOD dietician? Have you tried a few meds for the throwing up? Have you discussed other options with your doctor?

Can't believe you'd terminate because of nausea. Yeah, it sucks...but everyone gets it. I'd see a reputable dietician first to see if there is anything else you can do to ease the symptoms.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• is there anything the specialists can do? I'd hate for you to have to give up having your baby. I think it's a great thing that you were able to get pregnant after your unfortunate miscarraige... I do wish you the best things...I'm sorry you have to go through this at all.
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I tried more meds than I can name during my first, and all they did was cause the ulcer in the end. I went from prescription to prescription, it was awful. And if it was just nausea, I'd bite my lip and bear it. Nausea is a vacation compared to the constant throwing up and dry-heaving. It gets so bad I can't work. I was out of a job for most of my pregnancy. Got fired for calling in sick every other day because I was stuck bent over a toilet. I was basically living off vitamins and supplements with my son. While he was born happy and healthy, I looked like a crack-addict with the weight-loss and the sunken eyes and cheeks by the end of it. I'm always pale and sweating, I can't do anything without having to go gasping over a toilet. I don't get it. None of my doctors do either.
    Anonymous

• I experienced a horrible vomiting during my early stages of pregnancy. It got to the point that I couldn't even take a drink of something without it coming back up within 5 minutes! It was horrible and I constantly felt weak because of it. I finally decided to go to my doctor before I was scheduled to, and told him that it was very important that he see me. I told him of the vomiting and he gave me 2 medications to take... they worked miracles! I can't remember the names for sure but I think one was finigrin... it was amazing! Ask your doctor about it!
    TheLaakSmith

Answer by TheLaakSmith at 10:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• yes i am still and im 3 months pregnant im taking ondansetron for it and it helps alot
    Anonymous

• I was sick with both of my pregnancies. I vomited about 6-12 times a day. With my first pregnancy my doctor only told my to take unisome and Vitamin B-6. This did nothing for me, and I lost about 15lbs. With my current second pregnancy my doctor didn't hesitate to prescribe me zofran for the nausea and vomiting and zantac for reflux. There are some other alternantives for the nausea and vomiting too (phenergan, ginger tablets and others). The zofran cut my vomiting in to about 1/2. And when I started taking ginger I started even going a whole day without vomiting. I do believe that there is NO one cure all for everyone. And that you definitely need a doctors advise/treatment due to the blood component. Don't feel like termination is your only option until after you speak with your OB doctor. If your doctor won't help you get a new doctor!! I work in a hospital there are good docs and bad docs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TLCTLM

Answer by TLCTLM at 10:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• There is actually a name for a pregnancy related condition similar to this. I can't think of the name but i would see a dr regardless of what your current plans are, especially if you plan on having another eventually. try to get a referral to a Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialist, they deal in unique medical conditions and pregnancy. good luck
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 10:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• It's called hyper-emesis gravidarium and I had it with my first. I weighed 112 when I got pregnant, and 97 the morning after she was born.
    Look up all the information anddecide for yourself, but most doctors will admit that a few puffs of marijuana will settle your stomach and allow you to eat. This does not mean going out and getting loaded. It's what they do for cancer patients who are unable to keep foods and fluids down because of chemotherapy. Many studies have shown that it doesn't cross the placental barrier to the baby, or harm the developing child in any way. God created all growing things for our use (not abuse) and if the choice is between your health and your child's life, search your concience and see what you decide.
    All I can say is it was a doctor that gave me this information , but I didn't know him when I was pregnant.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• Wow. That's everything I've been through. I was on Zofran for a few days with my first, but I turned out to be horribly allergic to it, along with 3 other medications they put me on, which is what caused the ulcer. I remember that one because it was so expensive, over $10 a pill, even with insurance. I went to 2 doctors then, and neither of them even mentioned anything like this. Thank you for the link, I'll talk to my doctor about this.
    Anonymous