My daughter has been working on a research paper since NOON. She's STILL not finished!!!!

And she only has to write 4-6 pages! double- spaced!!! do you think she was actually WORKING since noon? or just on facebook? DO your kids procrastinate like this? she's in 8th grade.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Disconnect her access to the internet and she'd have that paper done by now.
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• i never worked fully concentrated on an assignment so she probably wasnt either she was probably talking to friends.
    Anonymous

• why didn't i think of that? you're right.
    Anonymous

• haha yeah i remember taking my time on research papers...and mom she definetly is surfin facebook, myspace, and whatever else besides her REASEARCH PAPER!!
    Anonymous

• Woah! Internet would definately be blocked while schoolwork was being done. Eight hours is more than enough time to do those pages...she has to be slacking off.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Some papers are hard to research. She is probably working on it, but she is probably doing other things at the same time, which I think is OK. If she just work work works its gonna get tiring and wear on her. If she has good grades and normally gets things turned in I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's a research paper you very well can't block the internet...RESEARCH...most of the time the internet is required -.-;
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I definitely agree with Sandra, you can't block a valuable source of information if she's working on a research paper. If she hadn't done any of the research before today then I'm not surprised she's still working on it. Writing a research paper takes more time than a reading response or other papers because you have to find a lot of information on the topic, which isn't always easy.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• For now...leave her be. If the paper doesn't get done...THEN you cut off her access when doing homework.

But really? I used to spend a lot of homework "research" time reading other things. No internet back then; I looked everything up in our World Book (and I still have those encyclopedias today). But I was always finding things on the way to looking up other things.

And as a teenager I liked to have solitary time in my room where I could read, write and dream.

The work always got done nonetheless. Results are what matter more than how you reached them (unless you cheated).

If she doesn't complete the paper, then cut her off. If the grade is low, then limit her. If she gets an A, stop worrying.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:18 AM on Mar. 9, 2009