Should I just let her cry?

My 11 month old decided last week that she wont take naps anymore, and she is throwing straight up TANTRUMS when I change her diaper... obviously, she has no choice in me changing her diaper, but about the napping thing, is it bad for me to just let her cry herself to sleep? I have NEVER once let her just cry. I always try to just give her what she wants, and I realize this probably isnt the right thing to do... I dont want a spoiled brat, but I am 21 years old, and I just dont have the slightest idea what to do when it comes to discapline for a baby. Should I leave her to cry? Please help... thankyou so much!

Sherrae

Asked by Sherrae at 9:24 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would. You need to start disciplining now or she will never behave. Your age has nothing to do with it. You need to be firm and show her that YOU are in charge. Change her diaper, put her in her bed/crib and tell her "Night night baby, it's naptime" and leave her to cry. She could be just overtired. Sometimes babies just need to get a good cry out of their system before going to sleep. If thats not it, she will wear herself out throwing a tantrum and fall asleep. There is nothing wrong with leaving her if you know there is nothing wrong. I did this to my son and he is the happiest baby ever because he gets the sleep he needs. I only had to do it twice. Good luck mama!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• "Babies" don't need discipline. They need love and nurturing. I'm sure you weren't meaning it in that context though.

My daughter decided shortly before her second birthday that she was no longer interested in naps. So I let her stay up. It makes the day a bit more stressful, but it makes bedtime a LOT easier. She falls asleep without any issues and is ready for bed by 8pm.
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I NEVER let mine cry themselves to sleep, and they turned out fine. If she doesn't want a nap don't make her take one, she'll get tired eventually. My kids know manners, and how to act, but they also know what they want and don't want. My son stopped napping at a year old, and he does just fine. He's is 2 now, and very polite. No "terrible twos" here, he is wonderful. (my daughter was too)
    ketha04

Answer by ketha04 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I agree with "crdc" and "ketha." No need to resort to cry-it-out, just follow baby's lead!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 9:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I'm having the same issue with my oldest son who will be turning 2 in April. Every mom has her own opinion, but when my son started to throw tantrums about taking a nap I would take him up to his room & put him to bed & tell him "It's time to go night night" & I would walk out & close the door. At first he would cry for a little while but when he realized I wasn't coming back up to take him out of his room he would go right to sleep. As long as you make sure their fed, changed, & you know that their tired & ready to take a nap crying isn't going to hurt them. Kid's need adequate amounts of sleep to grow properly. I have two boy's, one turn's 2 in April & the other turn's 1 in April, & they both still take at least 2 naps a day. I'm sure you'll make the best decision that work's the best for you & you'r child. I hope all goes well.
    shawna101

Answer by shawna101 at 10:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• First things first, you can't spoil a baby, not even an 11 month old one.

Are there any developmental milestones she's meeting that would cause her to not want to sleep--teething, walking, pulling up, etc.? When my daughter was first learning to walk she would get tired more often. I found if i waited until her normal nap time then she would be over tired and it would be difficult to get her to sleep. Put her to sleep when she's starting to look tired but before she's rubbing her eyes and getting fussy, that might help.

As far as the diaper changing tantrums go, I stopped using the changing table at about that time and I noticed a change of scenary seemed to help. I also tried changing wet diapers while my daughter was standing up as opposed to laying down. Just a couple of things to try. Good luck!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• An 11 month old child still needs a nap in my opinion. I let my DD cry when she went on nap strike. Only for 10 minutes at a time, then go calm them down and leave the room again. After about a week she was back to taking her naps. She's almost 3 now and is trying to ditch naps again, which is fine because most days she can make it through without one.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• It depends, if she isn't sleepy then I wouldn't force her to take a nap..But when my daughter is cranky and I KNOW it is because she needs a nap, then I let her cry. She usually falls asleep within 5-10 minutes.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• You sound alot like me. I am twenty two and my daughter is now two in half. Well I never let her cry I just didn't believe in it. But at that age my daughter started doing the same thing. I would let her cry for ten mins if it didn't stop then I would go get her. you can tell by her cryining. Your the mom and you know when you have to go get her. Try a new nap routine and maybe she is getting older and just needs less sleep. GET THIS BOOK. BABY BOOK by doctor william sears It saved my life. You just do what works best for your baby every baby is different. I have to lay down with my daugher till she falls asleep. I just read or something. I hope everything gets better...
    sarabeth1

Answer by sarabeth1 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• If your dd doesn't want to take a nap, perhaps you could try quiet time. Leave her in her bed with a few toys to play with. You could use her bed like a play pen. She will eventually figure out that it fun to be in her bed. FYI--letting her cry, won't hurt her. It never hurt my children to let them cry for 10 - 15 minutes. It sounds like this is your first child. Here's some advice. All mothers are practicing with their first child, or you can look at it another way, they are breaking us in for the siblings that come after them. We all make mistakes and we learn from them and what works best. What you are going through right now is trial by error. You can try the cry-it-out method and see if it works. If it doesn't, try something else. Be creative in how you get something is accomplished.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2009