braces on teeth

I never had them and neither did my dh. however our DD needs them. I have taken her in for 2 conultations and found 1000$ price difference. I thought I had gone through all the Q & A with the Dr.'s but now somebody askes abot drinking with metal braces. what would an alternitive be?? I didn't know thaere was anything else except the INVISALIGN which I heard are not so good. The DR.s never gave me any choice or braces for mt DD. What did she mean by that question? do you know?

chefjen

Asked by chefjen at 10:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Health

• I think she is upselling you by posing that question, I can't believe it. I wore metal braces for two years, my Dad is a doctor and we never worried about drinking. Should you start eating with plastic forks from now on? It's ridiculous.Cook only using stone? The plastic is the cancerous stuff to worry about. Ask her if there are any DOCUMENTED cases of health problems associated with metal braces.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• There are also clear braces. They're like the metal ones, but made of a different material that's tooth-colored. And they're more expensive, I believe.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• now all children/adults can wear the invisalign. Because of the type of movement your teeth needs, you may not qualify. Porcelain are the ones my oldest wears right now. They are just like the metal ones but are of a more natural color.
    Ask the ortho on these. you do pay more and depending on your daughters age, she may appreciate them better than the metal ones. My son has.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 10:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I had braces for 11 years growing up.......I never had a problem with drinking anything. I did have to be careful to NOT CHEW ICE or hard stuff like ice, taffy, and caramel. Ice can break off little metal pieces of your braces. Honestly, I know what I went through and I find it hard to believe that invisalign would work, unless your teeth were all ready close to perfect. I don't see how invisalign could correct a bite problem or move teeth that are way out of line!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 10:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• you rockI have even met a mom who's hubby is an orthodontist (the same one my dd will be going to) It looked like her braces were the same ones I remember seeing on kids when I was back in school. I understand that improvements have been made but I don't believe it is anything THAT drastic!!! Anymore input please!!??

chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2009