How many is too many?

My dr told me that the 32lbs I've put on during this pregnancy (only have 6wks to go) was too many. I was somewhat offended, knowing my mom put on 50-90lbs with each of us 4 children, and my grandmother was in excess of 100lbs for each of her 4. They are both fit women, and remain so.

How many is too many for you? Would you be upset at your OB saying something like that to you?

matobe

Asked by matobe at 11:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Happened with my first.. and is now happing with my 2nd. I gained 102 lbs with my first.. and im 6 months with this one and i have gained aroudn 46 lbs..
    Dont worry about it!!
    They just dont want you to be overweight afterwards..
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 11:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• i Gained 52 lbs so far... my doctor told me the same thing... screw it.. im not fat, im pregnant, I dont look unhealthy or feel unhealthy... I dont even eat bad either, im just gaining weight.... Im 20 though and will lose it... dont be upset about it... im sure your fine.
    Anonymous

• as long as you are eating healthy and getting appropriate exercise for a pregnancy, don't worry about it.

(they are also probably concerned about gestational diabetes I'd guess. so just keep an eye on things)
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I gained 80 with my first. When I was pregnant with my second they wanted to put me on a special diet. ugh. I ended up miscarrying . But it made me mad that they said anything about my weight.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 11:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I gained 30lbs. My dr said depending how big you were before depends how much weight you just gain during pregnancy. Normallly it is 25-35lbs. Personally for me I eat really healthy and therfore did not gain a lot of weight. I
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't be offended, only because the doctor is trying to tell you what he thinks is in the best interest of you and your baby.
    But 32lbs? That's not a lot. I think with my first my OB said at least 25lbs. Sounds like you're doing well, mama. Don't let that discourage you
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I gained 50 lbs with my son and my doc never said a word about me gaining too much weight. I prolly would have bawled my eyes out. I got so much exercise working fulltime still up till I poped and didnt make a difference.lol
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• i gained about 30lb. as well. i didnt gain in excess according to my doctor. the reason that he said it is probably because they expect you to gain even more in the last weeks.

i had been gaining about 2lbs. between each 2 week appt. i think and 4lbs. between each 1 week appt. something like that. so expect to gain another 10lbs or more between now and when you have your baby.

everyone gains differently, but gaining 50lbs or 100lbs would be a lot i would think. i would think it would make it harder to lose the weight afterward. i think if you gain a lot you are more at risk to gestational diabitis...i think. i am not sure. but i am sure there is a good reason why doctors dont want you gaining TOO much. they are just trying to look out for you and your baby.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I gained 40 and am regularly a size 6. I know women that have gained waaay more and also lost it. Don't worry about it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Try not to be offended..the doctor might be concerned about your weight cuz it could lead to having gestational diabetes if your overweight...
    Anonymous