What's the point of wisdom Teeth???

These little annoying ass teeth hurt really bad, and I don't even need them, i've been living just fine without them and now they decide to wreak havoc in my mouth! for what? ? ?

prettymama0607

Asked by prettymama0607 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Health

• i was only born with my 2 bottoms ones so i havent had any problems but i dont think they are necessary for anything really
    Anonymous

• No clue, I feel your pain though, i had one pulled last month and im starting to feel the pain of the others...i was in such bad pain i couldnt function!
    Eveshalloween

Answer by Eveshalloween at 11:36 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• My completely uneducated theory is that they served to replace lost molars. But since we have modern dental care, people generally retain all their molars for most of their lives, so there's no room for the wisdom teeth when they come in. But I'm totally making this up on the spot. Lol...
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• Born with them? Interesting.

When I was at the dentist at 21, I asked if I had them because I thought around 19 or so they come in. I had them, still do. Luckily, they don't need to come out.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I had to have both of mine cut out about 3 or 4 years ago I was either 19 or 20 when they cut them out, they are such a pain in the a$$!!!
    samantha_dawn

Answer by samantha_dawn at 11:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• I love Wikipedia.

Wisdom teeth are vestigial third molars. In earlier times, when tooth loss in early adulthood was common, an additional molar had the potential to fill in a gap left by the loss of another tooth. It has also been postulated that the skulls of human ancestors had larger jaws, which were possibly used to help chew down foliage to compensate for a lack of ability to efficiently digest the cellulose that makes up a plant cell wall. As human diet changed, a smaller jaw was selected by evolution, yet the third molars, or "wisdom teeth", still commonly develop in human mouths.

Other findings suggest that a given culture's diet is a larger factor than genetics in the development of jaw size during human development (and, consequently, the space available for wisdom teeth).

That's just an excerpt from the "wisdom teeth" article.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:05 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• to cause pain. I have one that grew in when I had a tooth taken out. I had one removed because it was impacted. I now need the other 2 removed.. I hate wisdom teeth.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 2:50 AM on Mar. 9, 2009