• In the Spotlight:

Tell Me About Your Kid's Godparents!

My husband and I are having trouble picking Godparents for our kids. It would help to hear about your's (IF your kids have Godparents).
1. How are the Godparents related to you? Are they a couple or two seperate people?
2. Are they the same people your kids would go to live with if something were to happen to you and your SO?
3. What denomination/religion are you? Are the Godparents the same denomination/religion?
4. What do you feel the role of a Godparent is?

I've heard different opinions from all of our friends and family so far and I'm confused as to what the "norm" is for Godparents (we need to choose them as "sponsors" for when our son is Baptised). Tell me your stories and any additional cool things. I'd love to hear it!

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 11:36 PM on Mar. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hmm okay well a couple examples. My godp's were my Dads friend that I called my Uncle , and my biomom's sister (the responsible one I always thought was boring). I think if something had happened to both of them I would have lived with my grandparents honestly...as my Dad kicked me out at 16 and I went to live with my grandma.

My SD would live with me if something happened to DH and the biomom, or even if something happened to DH only SD would stay with me most of the time and visit biomom. SD has a godmother she sees once a year or so, and a godfather she sees once a year or so. Although both were willing to be friends' with both DH and BM when they split, BM insisted they PICK one of the parents to remain friends with...godmother went w/ BM godfather went w/ DH (logically I guess)

It is increasing now that parents split and the godparent / responsibility of who takes care of the kids is often void.

Cont.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 12:14 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My relationship w/ my Godparents was one of aunt/uncle, although we did share the same faith/religion.

My SD's godfather is Catholic, and we are Christian.

I think the role of a godparent is similar to that of an aunt/uncle but with a tad more responsibility. In some faiths this means making sure the children are guided in the "faith" (specifically catholocism) because as they are teanagers they are more likely to talk to someone ELSE than their parents.

I think it is nice to appoint someone to care for your children if something should happen to you for sure but that is not always the godparents. For example, my youngest brothers' I believe would go with my Aunt if something happened to my Dad/Smom....but I don't think she's their godmother...

Really it's up to you :) You define the roll as you see fit, keeping within your church's faith of course.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 12:17 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My uncle/godfather, although unrelated, I always thought and still think is AWESOME. I wish he lived closer to me....he's bout 60 now but completely hip/modern. He and his wife had 3 sons, who are now grown, but I believe they foster/adopted like 5 more. They are fun to be around, camping and the like. We climbed Mt. Washington with them once.

I think it's a nice concept because it can bring someone into your family who isn't "blood" family in a way that recognizes them with a title publically.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 12:19 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• 1. we have 2 sets of godparents..my sistr and BIL and our best friends..both are in strong marriages.
    2. yes, to my sister first off, but she has some serious issues going on with her son, and if it would be too mych they would go to our friends
    3. we are all Christians. there is no way I would have godparents that were of a different religion, I want someone who will raise my kids in a similar manner as myself.
    4. I feel the role of a godparent is to be like a second parent:) and if God forbid, something where to happen to hubby and I to raise them in a similar manner as ourselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2009