am i wrong?

i told my 3 yr old to clean up her jelery wen shes done playing with them. we forgot and we ate lunch and she began to play with another toy that consist of alot of toy parts.then i told her to clean up her jewlery like i told her to a while ago...my question s does she reatin n remeber? should i just pick it up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No, they do not retain! I learned this the hard way. They really do forget or didn't hear in the first place and this will go on and on. That is why you see moms actually grab a child's face and tell them something. Kids are so focused on play or TV or whatever, that they aren't multitasking and hearing your commands, etc. Have patience.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:09 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• She should pick it up. Even if she doesn't remember making the mess, it's still good practice. My son helps me with pretty much every type of cleaning (in child-safe ways, of course), regardless of who messed up what.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:08 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• No, you are not wrong. I'm sure she is capable of remembering. Even if she didn't remember, reminding her that she needs to put things that are already out away before starting to play with something else is going to help her to learn to do it. If you just pick things up for her, she's never going to learn the rules.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:09 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Oh, but she should help pick up!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:10 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• she should pick it up. she probably will need help though.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You are right she is capable of remembering. it's just that kids like to test us. She is just trying to find a way to make you do it and if you do it once then you'll have to keep doing it. Set rules and make sure she understands that she has to obey mom not the other way around. It will be a lot easier for you if she gets that. Good luck!!!
    paufonseca

Answer by paufonseca at 12:27 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Well, you say "WE FORGOT". You told her to do something, you both got distracted, and you both forgot. She shouldn't be punished for doing something you did too but she should have to put them away once you realize that YOU made a mistake by letting her get distracted.

In the future, tell her "It's lunch time, put away your toys and THEN come have lunch" OR "Do you want to put your toys away before or after lunch?" If you go with giving her a choice, help her remember.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• A little reminder is enough to spark a three year old's memory. She needs to pick up her messes now otherwise she'll get in the habit of "forgetting" and leaving them for you.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 12:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• you both forgot. she prob. forgot but so what... we all forget to do something and then have to go ahead and do it later when we remember.
    If its too big a mess, help/play with her to clean up. Sing TEAM WORK... it always seem to inspire my kids to clean up. LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• she cleans up? I wish my daughter would do the same! I have begged her, put her in time out over it and still she REFUSES.
    lovetoteachec

Answer by lovetoteachec at 3:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2009