how do you stop people from spoiling your baby?

my mother in law keeps him on his hip.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thats her job. she is his grandma. let her build that bond.

what i hate are the relatives who try to feed them food like brownies when they are just starting table foods. it makes me so mad because i want to make sure she eats plenty of veggies and such. there are enough sugars in the fruit. she doesnt need all the other junk.

and unless she is holding him everyday all day, i think your son will be fine. i dont know how old your baby is, but they always say you cant spoil a baby under 3months. at least thats what my doc, mom and my mom's doc said.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• How old is your baby? I don't believe you can spoil a baby with love and attention.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I was just gonna say that. You can't spoil a baby with LOVE. If your busy and your baby wants held and is just throwing a tantrum because you won't hold him thats fine. Let him. I have "spoiled" my son from day 1 and he is now a year and he doesn't act spoiled one bit. Maybe you should take a clue from your MIL :o)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Unless the spoiling is detrimental to your baby or child's health....... ie. more than ONE piece of chocolate cake, or a bottle full of mountain dew ;) let her have her fun! Thats her job! It won't ruin him, believe me, and he will have the very best memories of grandma.

My favorite memory of my paternal grandmother was going over to her house and every time she would have plates of AT LEAST 10 different homemade cookies on the kitchen table. I could have as many as I wanted, and then watch TV all day in her lap, and I am just fine.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 12:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• That's not spoiling. It's fine.

SPOILING will be when he's a toddler and she gives him everything he points to...candy, cookies, toys.

Holding a baby is NEVER spoiling. NEVER. That's like saying you're spoiled whenever your husband kisses you.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:25 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I don't beleive you can spoil a baby. A toddler may be a different story, but you can never love and cuddle too much. Babies thrive on love and attention. But if you have issues with your Maother-In-Law doing things you'd rather she not do, then you need to speak up. You are the Parent and it's up to you how you'd like your child to be raised.

http://www.babysignsprogram.com/withelizabeth/

Helping Babies Communicate With Parents and Caregivers Before They Can Talk.

cuddlemonkeez

Answer by cuddlemonkeez at 12:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• didn't know it was possible to spoil my little one:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I don't think it's possible to spoil a baby.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't try to stop it! I'd have an issue if they expected him to sit there and not be touched. Babies need to be held.

Also babies can't be spoiled.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Im sorry for the poster who was rude.

How old is the child? What are the circumstances? Without knowing these, there is no right answer.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 12:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2009