Help please

My sister is getting married in Aug and I am helping to prepare all of the food. She can only spend $5000 total for the whole wedding and she can't afford to hire caterers. It's okay though, because I love to cook. I need use some inexpensive appetizer ideas. Also, I am making homemade tomato gravy and meatballs, but we will also have a chicken dish. Anyone have any elegant yet inexpensive chicken recipes? Your help would be so appreciated!

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• chicken cordon bleu
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:08 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• tomato gravy?? never heard of it. =\
    I would do chicken breasts cooked in the oven in Italian Dressing. It is soooo yummy!!!!!! And easy!!! And you don't have to worry about it drying out :) With mashed potaoes? or scalloped potatoes. And a salad and maybe another veggie :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Serves: 4
    Prep time: 5 mins
    Cook time: 25 mins

700g (1lb 9oz) potatoes, peeled and diced
    150 ml (1/4pt) milk
    4 chicken breasts
    2 cloves garlic
    Green (basil) pesto
    Freshly ground black pepper

1. Boil the potatoes in a saucepan with the lid on, simmer for 20 mins or until tender.
    2. Meanwhile, cut the chicken breasts in half lengthways and fry in a non-stick pan with 2 cloves of crushed garlic and a seasoning of freshly ground black pepper.
    3. Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. In another pan bring the milk to the boil. Pour the milk over the potatoes and mash until smooth.
    4. Stir 2tsp of pesto into the potato and serve immediately with the cooked chicken.
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 12:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Here's my favorite chicken recipe:

About a pound and a half of chicken, pretty much any kind. I usually use boneless breasts, but sometimes I use bone-in chicken, or just whatever I happen to have.

One can of diced tomatoes

One yellow bell pepper, chopped.

One green pepper, chopped.

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (though I never measure it, I just pour... lol)

1/2 cup olive oil (again, I never measure, it doesn't matter that much)

1 tbsp rosemary, crushed in your palm

salt and pepper to taste

honey

Preheat oven to 375. Dump the tomatoes and veggies into a 13x9 pan. Add the rosemary, vinegar and oil and mix well. Dredge the chicken into the mixture. Salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with honey. Bake until cooked through (time depends on what kind of chicken you used, but generally somewhere around 45 minutes). Serve with rice (I use brown rice).
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:25 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Tomato gravy=pasta sauce
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• AHAHAH . . tnteaton . . we are already planning on doing Chicken Cordon Bleu and now we have decided that we will also do Krazyash's Chicken in Italian dressing and call it Italian Chicken. Any help with appetizers will be a big help. We are now set on our chicken dishes, but please help with appetizers anyone! Thanks!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• an Italian pasta salad? reg salad?...

i just had chicken cordon bleu for the first time last week.it was pretty good!! and very filling
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• the italian dressing I second to be GREAT!!.. but to keep it juicy marinate it overnight.. keeps the flavor locked in.. and be sure to put a little on when you turn the pieces over..mmm..

for appetizers that are inexpensive.. fruits and veggie trays are always a plus..
    rye bread and dill dip is really good too.
    a taco salad maybe (make up taco meat.. mix in with lettuce, tomatoes, and any other veggies you like, and ranch dressing/salsa and dorito nacho chips for the torilla chips)
    cheese and crackers never get old.
    maybe some soups and/or chili. like a french onion (really easy to do).. as is chili.
    and a large salad dish is always a plus at any party/wedding/event. with 2-3 different dressings to choice from.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Here is a cheap appetizer.

4 pkgs of deli sliced ham

1 soften cream cheese brick

2 jars of sweet pickles

Spread cream cheese on ham slices.Cut ham into strips,then cube the sweet pickles.Add the cubed pickles to each ham strip.Then roll the ham around the pickles.
    Everytime I make this for holiday get togethers they are always a big hit.
    Depending on how many people are going to attend.You will have to upgrade the quanity of the ingredents.
    Jeffsmom87

Answer by Jeffsmom87 at 2:00 AM on Mar. 9, 2009