I had a Speech Ther. tell me that giving my son a straw will help him with his speech. Anyone ever heard of this?

He's 18 months & didn't qualify for early Intervention but still doesn't put two words together

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YES! and sucking thicker things through straws is good- if your child is old enough for it. (pudding, thin applesauce). ask the therapist if she think he is old enough for that.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:38 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Did she suggest that a straw would be better than a regular sippy cup? We have switched mostly to staw sippies for the same reason. It is because the sucking pattern of drinking from a straw is different from a sippy cup. Promoting the new sucking pattern can help develop speech. I wouldn't worry too much that he doesn't put two words together, he's still young. I'm not saying don't take him to therapy or work with him, just don't worry too much about him not being in EI, if he continues to show delays, just have him re-evaluated. Good luck.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:39 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Interesting. My son is in ECI and his therapist never brought it up (speech hasn't been our biggest issue - he was born at 25 wks, so he's had ALOT of catch up to play), but when she say him using it she said it was great and would prefer we use it to the sippy b/c it develops the muscles.
    AggieMamacita

Answer by AggieMamacita at 12:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My DS will be 17 months old in a few days. He puts very few words together. Mainly all we get is "Thank You" "bye bye" and He'll say "go go go" when he's headed somewhere. But, he has a TON of words he says by themselves and is able to express himself well.

Does your DS speak well otherwise? They don't have to be putting words together much at this age. And they aren't expected to be saying them right either. My son says thank you and it sounds like Tee Ka, Just wondering what made you concerned enough to go to a speech therapist so early.

I think I have heard the straw thing though. Think about the muscles you use in your mouth when you suck on a straw.

I've worked with deaf kids and kids with speech problems for years. If something is alarming you keep an eye on it, Just try to increase his vocab right now.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• He shouldn't be putting 2 words together at this point. He should have 10 to 20 individual words. Not phrases, not sentences. Just a handful of words and noises that have meaning to him and to you.

Remember, it doesn't have to sound like the word you use to be a word. "Milk" might come out as "me". "Balloon" might sound like "oo". But if he uses the same sound, the same way each time, and you know what he means, then it's a word and he is communicating verbally with you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes....there are several exercizes that a therapist can give to help encourage the muscles in the face and tounge.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 1:54 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It's one of the exercises our speech therapist recommended for my youngest two. They already drink with straws. LOL

It's to get them to use different muscles and help strengthen the oral motor muscles. There are other ones, too....

Practice making "kissy faces".
    Smile wide then pucker the lips.
    Smack the lips.

She does each of these with my one son about 10 times each.

Putting two words together isn't expected until about 2 years. Just keep modeling correct articulation and using phrases....he'll catch on. Keep monitoring his speech. If you don't see improvement in the next 6 months, call EI again.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:57 AM on Mar. 9, 2009