how much of a chance would i have to get custody of my x fiance daughter he and i were together for 2 and a half years we got custody of her while we were together because her mom was unfit now him and i seperated and she wants to stay with me he is bipolar and has abused me and her mantally but me physically she wants to stay with me because he is unstable.

he has had a domestic on me a year ago now the other day another he might go to jail she dont want to go to family she wants to stay with me just curious if anyone has ever heard of someone getting custody or temp custody when the child was not theirs now him and i do have a 7 month old baby together just lettin you know.

dragonfly2catch

Asked by dragonfly2catch at 12:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in About CafeMom

• I'm not sure. I would think that a judge would be more likely to keep her with family. How old is she? That may make a difference too.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• As a second thought...it also depends who is willing to go to court to fight you for custody. My mom had custody of her ex husbands niece, but she was 14 and wanted to live with us. Her mom didnt want her and no one else wanted custody so it just depends on the situation.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Grandparents are next in line...family is always considered over others
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• but some states might consider her family anon. ...especially bc she has a sibling to the child. it may very well be a possibility. but all states are different. the first thing i would do is file for visitation rights as an "interested party" ...if they wont give you visitation dont fret. Your baby legally has visitation rights to see his/her sister. ...then i'd talk to a lawyer. It also depends on how the child is, what kind of relationship the child has with other family members compared to yourself. ect ect. i wont say it's impossible ...but i cant say that it is very likely. but you can give it your best shot!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:23 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• it also depends on how old* the child is.
    i accidentally left that word out.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• when you say that we got custody is you name on the custody papers. if they are then that should be enough right there that makes you her legal guardian. i have a step daughter and i did not adopt her but i am her legal guardian if she needs anything. also the age of the child is a big factor.

twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 1:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2009