Does the IUD normally hurt this much?

I had the IUD put in on Thursday and as expected, the procedure hurt and I had cramping afterwards. Well, it's Sunday and I am in excruciating pain today and if anything touches my lower abdomen where my uterus is, forget it! I had to stop myself from screaming earlier when I went to the bathroom because I had held it for so long. (Had to take my younger son to the doc, had no choice.) Anyway, I was just wondering if it is normal for it to get worse before it gets better and I am just being a wimp, or if this is abnormal. Btw, I went through both labors without any pain meds, so I am not normally very sensitive to pain.

wondermeg

Asked by wondermeg at 2:19 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Health

• I would call your DR. I never had any pain passed the first day or so with my iud.
    1MoodyMom

Answer by 1MoodyMom at 2:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Thank you so much for answering! I will call then. I thought this seemed odd, I just don't have any other weird symptoms, so I wasn't sure.
    wondermeg

Answer by wondermeg at 2:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Call your doctor ASAP and make an appointment! I only had pain for a day or so and nothing severe. You shouldn't be in that much pain. Good luck to you!
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 3:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Apparently the IUD shot out of my uterus and ended up in my abdomen. This only happens in one in a thousand cases. Watch out for severe pain that localizes to the right or left. They were able to remove it with laproscopic surgery, which makes the procedure minimally invasive, but the recovery is still hard. Thanks for your replies everyone, I probably would have ignored this longer if it hadn't been for you guys, which could have been really dangerous.
    wondermeg

Answer by wondermeg at 10:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2009