Was it difficult to choose a different feeding method for your baby than what your mother did?

For example she breastfed and you decided to formula feed and not due to health issues. I ask this because my brother's wife is formula feeding and my mom is very upset about it. I couldn't imagine what she would be like if her own daughter decided not to BF.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• jcsscfam that must have been so hard. My husband's family all thinks BFing is disgusting and sexual. It was so hard when my son was young trying to feed him at their house. I can't imagine how hard it would have been if it was my own mother!
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I am the opposite. My mom formula fed and I breastfed. I can understand why she is so upset.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:49 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Oh and it was hard. My family thought it was so gross and wouldn't even look at me when I nursed her.
    jcsscfam5

• Nope, my mother tried to BF us, but quit each time. I EBF my first while still in high school full time for 14 months, he selfweaned. I am now EBF my second and will also let himself wean. If anyone gives me crap for it. I offer a blanket for their head (I am modest, but dont always cover, depends on what I am wearing) My MIL tried to get me to quit and even gave DS a bottle a few times, Ifound out and poured water in the can and left it there. How you feed your baby is a personal choice and if someone has a problem with it, oh freaking well, it is not their child.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 3:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I breastfeed and my mother formula fed. I also do quite a few other things different then my mother. I didn't have a problem with it, but my mother did. I finally got her to tell me her issue wasn't with what I did, but the fact that it was so different then what she did and she thought I was saying what she had done was wrong. I simply informed her that I was doing what I felt was right with the information I had at hand. She had different information 30 years ago and made a different decision based on that information. I have issues seeing strangers CHOOSING to give their children formula let alone my own daughter. My first self weaned while I was pregnant with #2 and he was 18 months old. My second is still going strong at 21 months.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:13 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I was a formula baby because I was adopted, but my mother breastfed her biological children,my siblings. She would have been very happy that I chose to breastfeed my children.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My mother didn't have any info on BF. I have to admit I'd be a little upset if my DD just decided for no medical reason or work reason to FF.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:23 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Nope, I knew that breast was far better than the formula she gave me. Some of my family have a hard time understanding because they haven't ever seen anyone who breastfeeds but they haven't done too much. That said, if my daughter decide to FF I would be a bit upset. I teach them that breasts feed babies and as of right now, they don't think formula should be an option. I hope to keep it that way.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 9, 2009