How much milk should a 2 year old be drinking a day?

My son wants chocolate milk all day. I get him to drink juice at breakfast lunch and dinner but in between he always wants milk. It seems like we are going through ALOT of milk. Just wondering how much is ok for a two year old a day

JmgBlair

Asked by JmgBlair at 2:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our pediatrician recommends 20-24oz per day. I do the opposite of you...milk with meals and juice/water mixed with snacks.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:50 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I too was told 20-24 oz at most day. I would stop giving so much juice. If he wants milk give him he milk but cut out the juice. Juice isnt a good choice due to all of the sugars in it. i will let ella have a little juic box with her lunch sometimes but that is it. Milk or water for the rest of the day.
    ellasmommy2007

Answer by ellasmommy2007 at 9:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I have heard that the ped's dieticians are recommending more milk than once thought. I would give him milk, and also would really limit the juice, i give my girls 6 oz. of juice with their lunch and the milk w/ ovaltine w/ bkfst and dinner. water for the rest of the day.
    good luck!
    my2girls7707

Answer by my2girls7707 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Giving toddlers too much milk can lead to anemia, because it often fills them up and then they don't want to eat food. Milk also causes small intestinal bleeds which again can lead to anemia. I do give my kids milk w/ meals, juice at either breakfast or snack, and then water the rest of the day.
    For toddlers, it is recomended that they get 3-4 servings of dairy per day, so aprox. 12-16oz. (or no more than 20-24oz. MAX as the pp's have said). A toddler serving equals 4 oz. milk, 1/2 oz. cheese, 4 oz. yogurt or cottage cheese. Also, a MAX 6oz. of juice per day is recomended as well. The rest should be water to drink, and healthy foods to eat.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2009