Bad words

Our son uses the words damn and shit frequently. We have tried ignoring him, we dont say these words around him . Nothing seems to be making him stop. HELP. He is two. I'm about to start working again and he may have to be in daycare. I cant have him going to daycare cussing!!!!!

JmgBlair

Asked by JmgBlair at 2:37 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldnt wash my childs mouth out with soap either...that is abusive. Ella has a bit of a cussing issue also. The day we moved she picked up the word shit and walked around saying it for a couple days then stopped. Then, DH was watching superbad and picked up the f-bomb :( It doesnt sound exactly liek it but i knwo that is what she is saying. We tell her everytime she says it that its not a nice word, she is 17 months so she may not get what im telling her, but the use of it is becoming less and less frequent, so as time passes as long as he doesnt hear it he will probably just stop. Just when he says it, tell him its not a nice word to say. If he says it as a result of something try to give him alternate words to use in those cases that are nice words
    ellasmommy2007

Answer by ellasmommy2007 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Well he learned them from someone. I would suggest ignoring it and tell everyone he spends time with to NEVER cuss around him. If you make a big deal when he cusses he will think it is a fun way to get your attention. Obviously he has no clue what he is saying and will soon forget if he no longer hears those words from people and is ignored when he says them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My son swears sometimes too, so we just repeat over and over that its not a nice word and he shouldn't say it. He catches us swearing and reapeats it back, "Mommy, that isn't a nice word and you can't say it!" It works when he says hate and stupid too. We tell him its rude to say not nice words and that he is a nice boy, not a rude boy.
    LeosMama0206

Answer by LeosMama0206 at 7:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• He's hearing those words somewhere. Find out where and keep him away from those people and tell them to stop using them if he must be in their presence. Secondly, you may have to resort to the washing of the mouth with soap. It does work, and it usually works pretty quickly.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Ignore it. He will stop. Definately have people watch the language around him.
    michelle1219

Answer by michelle1219 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Def not washing my childs mouth out with soap at two years old :) but as for the other tips and advice , thanks everyone.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 11:01 AM on Mar. 9, 2009