Do you have a suggestion for door barkers

My dog will bark at anything moving outside while they are inside and when someone comes to the door, wow it all gets worse no matter who it is. And while company is there also barking we have tried putting them in another room and we have tried disapline them as dog whisper has done and it seem like none of these work. I like company and I love my dogs HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Pets

• Buy a clean squirt bottle at the dollar store, fill it with COLD water, and when he barks at an inappropriate time, squirt him directly in the face,while telling him in a firm voice,
    "QUIET!". Do not YELL at him, because in dog interpretation, when you yell, you are "barking" and this encourages him to bark more.After being squirted in the face a few times,as soon as my dog saw the squirt bottle, or heard the word,"quiet", he would stop. To this day if he won't stop barking, all I have to do is grab a bottle of Windex, or Lysol spray and point it in his direction. He shuts up instantly. This method gets your point across and will not harm or traumatize your dog.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 3:31 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• That is a cool Idea, I will try it , thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My dogs do this too. I tell them "That's enough" because I want them to alert me if someone is there, but I don't want them to continue. If they don't stop I tell them to lay down and stay. This calms them and keeps them from being able to see out the window. They usually listen because they know if they don't stop when I say "that's enough" they will have to take a time out. The best way to train a dog is to teach them to "lay" and "stay" before anything else because it helps with just about every behavior problem...begging, barking, jumping, running away. Our dogs are trained to leave the kitchen when we eat dinner so that they don't beg. They are used to the routine so I only have to say, "out" and they go to the next room and lay in the doorway (of course with their paws still in the room) and wait until I say "ok" when dinner is over to get up. I always give them scraps then so they actually look forward to it.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 6:02 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Well, first of all... dogs bark when there's something to bark at. A great quality for security really. If the barking gets out of hand, use a stern voice and say "That is e-nough!" Works for my dogs. They know I'm boss and they need to listen. If it really bugs you, you could also try shaking a can with pennies in it (something really loud) or a squirter of water, but I wouldn't try to hinder it completely b/c it's just the dog's natural instinct to bark.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 10:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Try to teach them with hand signals instead of your voice commands. I just saw this on a show. They would put the dog on a leash (we don't do that tho) and make them sit at the door BEFORE they opened the door. Make them stay. Usually they will respond to the hand signals for this. If the dogs starts to bark again when the people come into the house, look at them, click your fingers or whatever you do to make them sit again and stop barking. It may take some time but I have found that my german shepherd responds better to these signals than she does when I try to shout her name above the bark! The voice noise seems to keep their attention more focused on the frenzy of the barking, whereas you have to break their concentration and get their attention to respond to the hand signals. I know I didn't say this very well, so I hope you get the idea.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 6:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Our dogs bark when someone is at the door. We tell them enough and they usually stop. However my Lab attacks the door when they leave. I have tried one thing I was told to do. That is to command his attention and praise him when he is good. We tell people to ignore him and we will handle him while they go out the door. It works for most. However our roommate go through the door then turn around and talk to him and basically ruins all the work we do. Talk about annoying. I have told her to ignore him it is the only way he will stop. The other day she didn't think I was paying attention. She was actually teasing him when she left. I looked at her and said when he bites you I will laugh. He is a great dog and loves everyone, he just wants them to stay here.
    connietrrll

Answer by connietrrll at 1:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• -- He is a great dog and loves everyone, he just wants them to stay here --

I'm glad someone else sees this trait! Our dog barks when someone gets up to leave too. And I know it's because she doesn't want them to leave.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 3:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Mine bark but i want them too! I am scared all the time! What gets me is when someone does come over they stand there "in the heat of the moment" and put their stupid hand down there and oh yea they will bite!!!! How dumb!!!! I tell everyone to just ignore them and they will settle down but noooooooooo theres always this dumb ass that wants to pet them!!!!! When they see that were ok with the people they settle down! WHY are people so dumb???? I had a german shepard and people would say "if he bites me, i'll kill him!" and jump at him and do things trying to get him to bite and me saying leave him alone!!!!! HATE PEOPLE-LOVE DOGS!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Mar. 13, 2009