child proof door handles....

What would you think of putting one of those little plastic child proof handles on the inside of a toddlers room at night to make sure that they can't get out and into things in the middle of the night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have one for my daughter's room. My best friend's little boy figured out how to get it off, she she just turned the handle around and locks it. He's a real terror, he even climbed over gates to get into things. I have one of those plastic handle things on the bathroom door, laundry room, and the inside of her room.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:50 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• OP HERE - I want to put a lock on my dds door because i live in an apt where we are NOT allowed to put the childproof locks in the kitchen and i get very worried about that but, my dh and my mil tell me that it is cruel and very unsafe to put a lock on the inside of her door...so I am gonna see what everyone on here says and have that help me make up my mind :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I have one on my dd's door. I also had it for my son. I never even thought about it, but have seen some people on here think it's terrible. One person mentioned as a fire hazard because the child could not get out of the room, though most studies show kids hide rather then leave the room anyway.

I like it for two reasons.

1. My kids stayed in their rooms instead of wandering all night and everyone gets a good nights sleep.

2. My kids both have special needs so I felt safer too.

Now that my son is older he does not have one. Just for that toddler stage when they first get a big kids bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I have one on the door of my toddler's door. Better that than he get out of his room and fall down the flight of stairs and I find him the next morning with a broken neck.

I do have a monitor in his room, but he can get out of bed without me hearing him and he has the one quiet door in the apartment! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I had one on my son's door when he was little because he got into everything. It's not cruel.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• i have them too. While they worked great for awhile she figured out how to pop them off.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2009