Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to bring this up

Ok so today I am going for my yearly pap to my fam doc. How can I bring it up to him I am depressed and I think I need some med?


Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Usually they have a annual questionaire, and questions of depression will be on there. Otherwise just go ahead and start discussing how you have been feeling lately and you are concerned about it. It is common, that's why questions on depression are usually on the questionairre at an anual physical. You are not alone, and good for you for being responsible enough to know when you need help and being courageous enough to ask for it. Best of luck to you.

    Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 7:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • well you seemed to be just fine right now. what is wrong with what you just said to us

    Answer by jodi205 at 7:38 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • You just have to tell him how you have been feeling. There is NO shame in doing so. For your health please do it. He may also refer you to a psychiatrist or therapist. Nothing bad about what you are going through.


    Answer by Christine0813 at 7:39 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • Just tell him like you did us right now!

    Answer by lapcounter at 7:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • I know it may seem awkward and uncomfortable to you. But to your doctor, it's no different than you saying, "Oh yeah, and I also have this weird rash on my arm that I think needs to be checked out." It's just a medical issue, like anything else.

    However, I'd like to also offer another approach. Personally, I've never gone through my regular doctor when dealing with depression (and I've dealt with it a LOT). I strongly believe it is best to take antidepressants under the care of a psychiatrist. It's not like anti-biotics - in most cases, if you medicate but don't make changes to your way of thinking and your coping strategies, you'll essentially remain unchanged and will be unable to stop medication, or you'll simply relapse when you do stop. That's not true for everyone or every case, but it's certainly a common scenario. So I always just go through my insurance co to find a provider, and leave the doctor out of it.

    Answer by BlueFrogMama at 7:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2009