Do you judge someone because they carry expensive purses or wear high end clothes?

My dh bought me a very expensive Coach purse that was 75 % off for Valentines Day. It cost all of 100.00 dollars and since I have been using it I have been getting stares and comments made to me. I was so proud to have this purse BUT now I am self conscience and am to a point that I don't even want to carry it anymore. Why do people have to be so cruel and make assumptions? Do you judge other women if they are nicely dressed or carry expensive purses? I myself may look and say to myself that they look nice or that I like the purse/accessories but that is it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I haven't noticed this, but I bet it has to do with the recent down turn in the economy. Ignore them, they have no right to judge. If you have the money to shop then you should be shopping, that's what will move this economy. If you're kids are cared for, and they are dressed appropriately then there is nothing wrong with spending on yourself (I understand hubby did the spending but you get my point). You go ahead and wear that purse! I am sure it's lovely.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I don't judge. I think when someone gets those kind of stares it's just jealousy. People don't know if it was a gift or if you got it from the thrift store. Yes I shop at thrift stores and they so have name brand items. :) If you can afford then go for it. It's no one else's concern what your money situation is.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes people do judge I wear a lot of jewelry from Tiffany's and when women see it they are like OMG must be nice, and I have finally gotten tired of it and say yes it is we have worked hard to get where we are and this is my reward!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 7:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Well, when someone comments you can say proudly that your hubby got it for you for Valentines Day. They will probably be more jealous that your hubby was that thoughtful. Also point out that he ALSO got such a good deal. You must have a very smart, thoughtful hubby!!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 7:49 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Well... People are people, sadly it's in our nature to judge.
    I have noticed a woman in my area that looks like a million dollars every day... But her kid, well he looks like he is homeless. I do wonder if she spends the same amount of money on her child as she does on her look. I try not to judge her...
    But one purse? I wouldn't look twice. My hubby bought me a purse from Prada. I don't care what people think, f*** 'em.
    lara_b

Answer by lara_b at 7:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It is jealousy!  Just ignore it and carry your purse with pride.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I say "F#@* them! Not to be totally blunt or anything, but most people only judge because they are jealous. Be proud of yourself for having it and proud of your hubby for buying it for you! I must say though, when I see a woman all frumpy looking in baggy sweats with her hair in one of those messy buns sporting her fancy, shmancy purse (whenther it be Coach or another big designer brand), I do wonder why they bother? So, please, Mama, sport that purse and look like you own it, not that it owns you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Well, it could be because NOONE "needs" to have products that are that expensive unless they are used to protect themselves. (Work boots, clothes for work ect.) In my opinion, it is from greed and lack of financial awareness. Hopefully you have all your bills paid off and a lot of income.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Most of the people I know have one nice bag. I have so many nice bags and their all from my MIL, and I hardly use them. Bags are status items to some. Nice bags made of fine leather are investment pieces, a classic coach bag can last a lifetime. At least thats how my MIL sees it. My MIL would tell you a nice young lady has neat nails and a nice bag.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• This is to the Anonymous that commented that it is out of greed and lack of financial awareness that I got the bag from my dh. Honestly we have no debt and we only pay cash for things. If there is no cash then we don't buy it...plain and simple. Thank you for your honest opinion though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2009