how can I get my 7yr old to listen to me??

I have a 7 yr old & almost 6yr old., and for some reason they think that they don't have to listen to what I ask them to do, from picking up there clothes & toys to going helping them selves to what ever they want to snack on, the 7 yr old has screaming matches with me, and the other one just cries, I know I'm doing something wrong here....
Thanks for any help
Brightest Blessings )0(

luvmygirls3

Asked by luvmygirls3 at 8:05 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Stop screaming. Seriously. Just start doing. Take away toys. Take away privilages. Talk in whispers so they have to listen. Stop doing the expected. No warnings. At that age they are expected to behave in school and usually do, so you fully expect them to behave at home properly.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:08 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I turn off the TV and unplug the box. That gets attn. Then I get a huge garbage bag and start throwing away stuff. If it was real expensive or something they like a lot, I make them earn it back w/ hard work.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My 5 yo is like this with me at times, my oldest who is 8 is seriously perfect in that regard. My 5 yo got out of the habit for like 6 months and then since her friend gets whatever she wants when she screams and yells, Olivia started doing it again this past week. I had enough. I swatted her (very lightly mind you) on the behind twice so she would clean her room. She is also grounded from the TV today, minus one 30 minute show. I'll let you know how the rest of the week turns out but I already told her I think her friend is causing her to behave this way and if she continues she will not be allowed to play with this friend. I don't tolerate that kinda stuff.

upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 9:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• do you have house rules already? if you do start implimenting them more with consquences if the rules are broken...
    If you don't maybe it's time for a family meeting and set some and if your 7 yr old needs to scream send her to her room to do it and let her know she isn't getting anywhere with that type of outburst... also start taking favorite things away... including play dates... or special activities for a more serious thing... 
     For each rule set up set up a consquence for breaking it and stick to it... in time it may not be needed any longer...

Good Luck...
    )0( BB )0(

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• OMG I just asked the same ? my 7 yo does the same thing, no sceaming though. She just does what ever she want to do wheather I say no or not. I guess I have to be more ferm with the rules or something. what to do. I also feel really guilty when I tell her no I don't know why. I think I let her walk all over me. AI just want her to be happy. I think that I am over comensating because me and her dad are seporated.
    rachel0226

Answer by rachel0226 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• my almost 7 yr old sometimes gets in a mood when she doesnt want to listin. mostly not though. but when she does, she goes to her room and doesnt get anything special or anything she wants.no dessert, no t.v. no going fun places. she also gets more chores to do. and i will take away her special toys if she talks back. but like i said she doesnt do it often because she knows. my step daughter (5) on the other hand, knows how to drive me nuts. and i do the same with her too. but i also reward them whem they are being really good and i tell them thank you for doing chores and i hug and kiss them. and we do something fun when chores are done. like painting finger and toe nails, watching a movie while cookies are backing, coloring together. they know that if they do what they are told ill be happy and so will they

hazeleyzmama

Answer by hazeleyzmama at 1:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• We had this problem with our daughter when she was 5. It turned out that a neighbor girl was bullying her. This girl also was a screamer. After one really bad day, I grounded her from friends for a week -- and she seemed relieved. That took care of the screaming hissy fits.

Regarding the anti-social behavior toward you, there are some good answers above. One thing I just implemented is my kids (now 7 and 4) get ten nickels each Sunday afternoon. Every time they commit certain offenses -- which were laid out in a meeting -- they have to pay me a nickel, and it goes in the Naughty Nickel Jar. At the end of the week, they get to put the remaining nickels into their piggy banks and we start out fresh with ten new nickels. It's working well so far!

Good luck, stay firm, and God bless.
    tweetzilsmom

Answer by tweetzilsmom at 10:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2009