What if?

The Upper-Income Taxpayers Found [Legal] Ways to Sidestep Obama Tax-Hike Plan.
A 63-year-old attorney based in Lafayette, La., who asked not to be named, told ABCNews.com that she plans to cut back on her business to get her annual income under the quarter million mark should the Obama tax plan be passed by Congress and become law. "We are going to try to figure out how to make our income $249,999.00," she said...
... "Why kill yourself working if you're going to give it all away to people who aren't working as hard?"
...Dr. Sharon Poczatek, who runs her own dental practice in Boulder, Colo., said that she too is trying to figure out ways to get out of paying the taxes proposed in Obama's plan. "I've put thought into how to get under $250,000," said Poczatek. "It would mean working fewer days which means having fewer employees, seeing fewer patients and taking time off."

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I also heard on Talk Radio there is a revolt amongst many professionals brewing.

Isn't this Making Less Work Pay?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:09 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• If this is what is going to happen then wow this admin is doing so great huh?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I absolutely agree!!! Seems Obama is all for helping those who either cannot or will not aspire to raise their station in life, so why not do the same?! What's next, Obama is going to FORCE those with highly marketable skills like doctors, lawyers and business owners to work MORE than they have to, in order to get by?! I say beat him at his own game!!!

My husband and several of our friends have met with our accountants and are doing the same! And as the high tax income threshold continues to spiral down to the 42k mark (which it will), we'll just find "creative" ways to tie up our money! It's called working smarter not harder! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Obama probably didn't expect there to be obstinate taxpayers out there with minds of their own. I have been operating on this theory since he first stated that only those who make over $250,000 will have a tax hike. Of course, I am not including Hollywood in that. I don't consider celebrity as a moral compass.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:25 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• This is really sad on many levels. First, it is sad that people are trying to get out of paying taxes but hell people do it all the time. Second, it is sad that Obama's plan is going to make medical and other highly paid professional less available. Thirdly, it is sad that this is going to turn into a debate where the lower classes will get insulted left and right and blamed for everything and called lazy.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:28 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• pp, my family lands solidly in the middle class. I don't begrudge higher earners for wanting to keep more of their hard earned money. Even if it's not hard earned, it's still their money. The fact that they are finding LEGAL ways to reduce the amount of taxes they will have to pay doesn't bother me either. Obama should have seen this coming. I don't think this is a matter of blaming lower classes for anything. Higher earners know that this stimulus will have to be paid by somebody, they just don't want to be the one's to foot that bill too.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Of course people are going to do this. Even the wealthy need incentive to work hard. And being taxed more isn't much of an incentive. Nobody wants to work really hard just to benefit everyone else, even if those other people are working hard too. It makes one feel taken advantage of.

I know people will say their just greedy and selfish, but that's a very short sighted view of things.   People have a very negative view of those that earn large salaries for some reason.   Saying they're just "lucky" etc..  Well, I think the old saying is true - the harder you work, the luckier you'll be.   

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 9:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Quinn ~ I didn't say anything about begrudging them. I was talking across the charts. Hairstylists, waiters/waitresses, anyone who is in the position to "hide" money. Maybe if eeryone actually paid their taxes properly we wouldn't have such a debt.

I don't agree that they work any harder than the middle or lower classes though. The harder work is that of the blue collar.

It's just a matter of morals that I was addressing.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I agree Bezu. If only they would put the shoe on the other foot and think about how they would feel if it were a higher percentage of THEIR money being taken from them. That would probably change a few minds.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• First off, I didn't accuse you of begrudging, that was my own opinion of how I feel.

Second, I am not going to judge and say that a blue collar worker works harder for their money, every situation is different. Some of those white collar workers got there through their blue collar job history, so many have earned their way to the top. And those that risked their livelihoods to make their fortune, no risk, no reward. Why should they suffer and have to share their reward when they were the only one's that partook in the risk?

And as far as the morals, well, if they are doing it legally, I guess that's one step further than many in our current administration.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2009